got ethical husbandry?

New sump for my 140 AGA tank.. 2 Videos and quite impress.. What do you think???

Ahhh time for a new sump... Got a good deal on plexiglass material from Mr. Plastics, i purchased the entire sheet for $127.00 they cut the pieces and gave all the extra materials which was enough for a small office tank. Contact Brett from Mr. Plastics.
Sump build....I've taken the cue from aqueon sumps/refugium where the incoming waste from the tank is chambered in a closed cavity pushing the water upward and draining to the main chamber through a filter sock, this ingenious design forced all detritus, waste and other large materials to be collected in the filter sock. Since this is a single filter sock design, i've taken the extra precaution of preventing an overflow of water in case the filter sock gets clogged with waste, so the first safety is a simple 1/2 hole facing to the skimmer area and the second safety is with a float switch, it is situated about 2 inch above the 1/2 inch hole inside the first chamber, if the float switch is tripped it will power off the circullating pump and send a email notification to me. I've been using RKE (Reef Keeper Elite) for many many years and so far its been working as it should be.
The second part of the video will cover how i got 97% bubble free without using any foam, filter floss or pads, the fix only cost $3.00 from Taps with some modifications i will compose the video after making sure that it will work on any pumps right High or Low flow pumps. Right now i am using OR6500 i believe it is rated for 1700 gph.

here's part one of the DIY project

here's part two of the DIY project.... I am happy with the results.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parts list

1. Plexiglass (Mr. Plastics): $127.00 Plus tax
2. Ph compression fittings: $9.99
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...g_Probes-AquaticLife-AK01033-FITERPPO-vi.html
3. Float Switch: $5.08
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Liquid-...WM/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1339040598&sr=8-44

Attachments

• sump1.png
    sump1.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 237
  • sump2.png
    sump2.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 239
I am quite happy with the results have to add a MOD underneath as well to create a whirlpool in the chamber so far i am satisfied will be replacing my old sump of 3 years...

Thanks Kris... i will be installing the new sump next weekend i am still waiting for my float switch and float valve hopefully i get it mid next week. So far the fix was really simple it took me about 2 weeks to figure it out :) and what a solution to the problematic "micro bubbles" a $3.00 fix is all it took to reduce the bubbles to almost zero.

Thanks Eileen.... I created both videos on the new ipad... Its quite amazing and i had fun with it, but for true audio and video editing experience i think the Mac still wins.

Looks great! One thing I cannot tell from the video : if the filter sock gets clogged, do you have a path for the water to go into the next chamber without overflowing?

Also is there just the one sump chamber after the sock or two (one for a skimmer and one for the return pump)?

Ray....In the second video at 1:07 mins, there's a 1/2 hole that overflows to the sump area, the second safety is a float switch controlled by my reef keeper elite system, this is placed in the first chamber/overflow area. The 1/2 hole work really well without any issue i left the filter sock for over a week and it just overflow to sump area :) did not trigger the float switch at all.

What acrylic thickness did you use for the interior walls/baffles? 1/4"?

Also, in the side view, why is there a 2" spacing at the bottom?

Denzil,

The acrylic is almost 1/4 inch thick about .030 difference, mr plastics at san leandro was selling an entire sheet for $125.00 they call this the .220, a 1/4 inch roughly measures .250 this is way cheaper than 1/4 inch also you get free cuts and you take all the extra pieces from the entire 8x4 ft board.
All baffles are spaced 1" apart, i think the video looks deceiving :)

Nice! The new BAR sight has made all your links/pictures disappear. What dimensions are the tank? I might need to make one myself!

I was planning on either using a 100g tank (too big, it turns out) or my current 40-ish gallon acrylic sump for my 180. But this looks cool.

V

Nice! The new BAR sight has made all your links/pictures disappear. What dimensions are the tank? I might need to make one myself!

I was planning on either using a 100g tank (too big, it turns out) or my current 40-ish gallon acrylic sump for my 180. But this looks cool.

V

Part1 :
Part2 :

I can't recover his photos :/

Back