Reef nutrition

Felicia's 30 Gallon Seahorse Tank - Seahorses have arrived!!!

Heh, now that most of the heavy lifting with the forum is done, maybe I'll have a chance to loiter around NR more often. Definitely some cool folks over there. :)

Heh, now that most of the heavy lifting with the forum is done, maybe I'll have a chance to loiter around NR more often. Definitely some cool folks over there. :)

You should! I've met a ton of great people on there!

Btw, after using your forum extensively yesterday and today for all this discussion, it officially gets my stamp of approval :D

You should! I've met a ton of great people on there!

Btw, after using your forum extensively yesterday and today for all this discussion, it officially gets my stamp of approval :D

Aww, glad you approve! :cool:

It's certainly much better than the old platform. Of course, I have a biased opinion. ;)

Aww, glad you approve! :cool:

It's certainly much better than the old platform. Of course, I have a biased opinion. ;)

Its definitely much faster and easier than the old one. It took some getting used to because I always resist change, haha, but now that I'm used to it, I really like it.

Felicia,

In your final design above, I would put the "opening" at the bottom of the skimmer chamber for the "non-bubble water" to feed the refugium.
Otherwise, your "bubbly water" near top of the skimmer section may just "hydroplane" across to the other side and dump microbubbles into your return pump section.

==========
As for plastic, if you have enough "support ribs" in between your sections, which you do, you can go thinner. 1/8 or 3/16(?) inch.

Also, you can go with another material. Tap plastics also offers GRAY/WHITE/BLACK(?) PVC. It is softer, but not a big deal since you have the ribbing. Also, PVC is a lot easier to work with using a hacksaw, drill, etc. Less crackable.

I think PVC is cheaper.
=========
You'll have to check if PVC is more "bondable" to glass with silicone or what-not.
You could also use polycarbonate (more expensive, I think).

Felicia,

Can you share (or is it somewhere already)...

Information about sea-horses and which livestock are compatible, non-aggressive tank mates?
All this discussion is making me want to do a seahorse tank, which I wanted to do eventually, just you are pushing me "faster" to do it.

Felicia,

In your final design above, I would put the "opening" at the bottom of the skimmer chamber for the "non-bubble water" to feed the refugium.
Otherwise, your "bubbly water" near top of the skimmer section may just "hydroplane" across to the other side and dump microbubbles into your return pump section.

==========
As for plastic, if you have enough "support ribs" in between your sections, which you do, you can go thinner. 1/8 or 3/16(?) inch.

Also, you can go with another material. Tap plastics also offers GRAY/WHITE/BLACK(?) PVC. It is softer, but not a big deal since you have the ribbing. Also, PVC is a lot easier to work with using a hacksaw, drill, etc. Less crackable.

I think PVC is cheaper.
=========
You'll have to check if PVC is more "bondable" to glass with silicone or what-not.
You could also use polycarbonate (more expensive, I think).

Very good point about the bubbles! If I make the opening at the bottom, would that make the skimmer chamber still have a constant water level? The skimmer I'm getting won't work well if the water level fluctuates.

Good points about the material for the partition and baffles. I think 3/16 would work well. I'll check out the other materials when I go in to get my quote at TAP. Thanks for pointing out the cheaper options!

Actually, looking at the drawing, if I have the skimmer chamber flow into the fuge at the bottom, the flow will just got straight across the bottom under the skimmer and new water coming in won't go into the skimmer. Hmmm...I'd have to add another baffle between the media chamber and the skimmer chamber to route the flow up to the top of the skimmer chamber and then out the bottom. That would take space out of the fuge chamber.

Ok, the redesign based on the bubble consideration would look like this:

I'd lose 1/2 inch from the fuge section. I'd cover the baffle opening between the skimmer and fuge section with gutter guard to keep the macros from growing into the skimmer section.

Felicia,

Can you share (or is it somewhere already)...

Information about sea-horses and which livestock are compatible, non-aggressive tank mates?
All this discussion is making me want to do a seahorse tank, which I wanted to do eventually, just you are pushing me "faster" to do it.

This article is great!
http://www.seahorsecorral.com/Seahorse_Tankmates.html

It ranks common reef aquarium inhabitants based on their level of compatibility with seahorses. I'm been referencing that article a lot.

Also, you should check out this thread on NR:
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/321752-zias-mustang-ranch-livevids-pg57/

That's the tank that inspired me to start this one.

Glad to hear there may be another seahorse tank! I've been wanting one since I got into the reef hobby, and now I've committed!

Man, now I am slowly thinking of putting my Aquapod 12G into a seahorse tank. ^_^ I retrofit it with LEDs and all, but need to research more about seahorses. Either way, it'll be a "passive tank" in the meantime.

Back