Jestersix

Bumbling newbie's 65g mixed reef

I'm cycling my tank right now. Since I'm not a very patient person, I decided to start this journal to keep myself busy.

I guess I should figure out how to add a signature fist, huh? Until I do, here is my current tank info:
65g - Proflex sump model 1 - CAD Lights PLS-100 skimmer - Tesla Svelte LED - EHEIM compact+ 3000 return - 2X VorTech MP10ES -2X 75 w Cobalt heaters - 40 lbs dry rock, 5 lbs LR - 60 lbs live sand.

I have never before owned any kind of tank. I was told by an acquaintance that this is a tough hobby to be involved in, so I started here. Bought these books and just read for a couple months.

I'm not sure if I know how to add pictures, so here is my first attempt.

73ed2089-99c9-45de-a5fe-49b753c2992b_zpsa580e3aa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great books to start with!!
(And yes, last one worked)
Welcome!
What is a "signature fist?" I would hate to get hit by that for some smart alec remark like this. :)
The hobby can be hard, or not so hard, depending on what you want to do.

I'll pick up Reef Invertibrates, by Calfo & Fenner. Thanks for the recommendation. I wonder if anyone can recommend a good book for newbies about coral?

So after reading for about 2 months, I'm feeling confident that I can do this, so here are my first of many purchases.
It's all pretty generic stuff. This is not a "build journal".
Tiny sump (bottom right in pic), 65g reef ready tank and stand, all by aqueon. And one 20 gallon brute trashcan.

Hi! Welcome! You're right that this hobby can be hard, but if you do your research, have patience, and ask lots of questions then you'll be successful :) Looks like you're off to a good start with your equipment!

looks like a great start. I live the research and setting up part of a new tank, but waiting for it to cycle is tough. what rock did you decide to go with and what type if corals/fish are you planning on keeping?

Welcome Dee Ann,

May I suggest reading Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman and The Coral Reef Aquarium by Tony Vargas. I recommend reading Tony's book first as it's the most contemporary and covers some beautiful reef tanks from conception to finish.

If you need assistance with plumbing, I'm sure there are some BAR members in your area to give you a hand.

looks like a great start. I live the research and setting up part of a new tank, but waiting for it to cycle is tough. what rock did you decide to go with and what type if corals/fish are you planning on keeping?

I bought pukani dry rock from bulk reef supply. I love the look of the stuff, and the price was right. But I changed it so much that I probably could have bought anything and my scape would have looked the same. I'm not really sure how I feel about the result of my scaping. I hope I will love it after I get some corals in.

I'm not sure about the type of corals yet, need to do some reading on the subject. As for fish, I've been working with Steve on his "check you intended fish purchases" thread at reef central, and have come up with a tentative list.

1 Orchid Dottyback (added Next to Last)
2 Banggai Cardinalfish (tank raised, 1 male + 1 female)
1 Yellowtail Damselfish (added Last)
1 Canary Wrasse
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Mated Pair / juveniles)
1 Bicolor Blenny

I'm taking things very slowly, so I don't anticipate having the full list until about a year out. Tis may sound corny, but I love animals and want to do the best for any that I bring into my home. So I'm going to do this thing right.

Welcome Dee Ann,

May I suggest reading Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman and The Coral Reef Aquarium by Tony Vargas. I recommend reading Tony's book first as it's the most contemporary and covers some beautiful reef tanks from conception to finish.

If you need assistance with plumbing, I'm sure there are some BAR members in your area to give you a hand.

Thanks for the book recommendations! So far all my reading has focused on my tank, water conditions and fish, but I want a mixed reef so it's time to learn about coral. ☺

As for the plumbing, I wish I had been brave and stopped lurking sooner. I might have saved myself hours of needless worry over plumbing with help from a BAR member. It took some trial and error, about 50 trips to OSH and Home Depot, plus I had to cut out chunks of glued PVC twice, but I got there in the end. I'll show some pics of it later. Everything has been up and running for about 3 weeks now. I have to say, getting through that project on my own was a bit of an ego boost.

You are quite welcome. Kudos for taking things slow...a old saying in this hobby is "nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby." Congrats on conquering your plumbing ! We love pics here at BAR. :)

You are quite welcome. Kudos for taking things slow...a old saying in this hobby is "nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby." Congrats on conquering your plumbing ! We love pics here at BAR. :)

BTW Jim, I'm making my way through your tank journal, got through around the first 30 pages yesterday. I love the pic of your kids swimming in you tank! Classic.

Welcome DeeAnn. Nobody responded to your earthquake concerns so...

Here is a somewhat cheesy video about the subject. As a totally off topic comment, it was filmed at my alma mater. :)

Back