Our mission

Drilling acrylic question

euod

Supporting Member
I need to drill a 1.5" hole in a 1/2" thick acrylic tank and would like some suggestions how to do it,
Which drill bit?
Speed of drilling?
Should I cool with water?

Would like some experience feedback so I do not chip it. Thanks

Take bulkhead to store, find hole saw that is exactly the same size as bulkhead, or just the tiniest bit larger. Go slow without pushing too hard, I've never used water while doing acrylic.

I have had to cut the hole from both sides in acrylic once. My goodness acrylic is sooo darned easy to drill compared to glass.

The acrylic will get hot.

If it looks like it is melting, pull out drill, then stop, and wait for things to cool.
Water does help cool things, but not critical.
Do not push hard. It can shatter a bit as it comes through.
It sometimes works better to drill half way from each side, but if you do not drill straight,
it may not like up quite right.
If you are near Union City, I have quite a few different size hole saws.

Thanks for the advices everyone. The predicament I get myself into. I really did not want to put more work or invetment into this project than I already have. I figure it is not like drilling wood and worry that I may have to do a ghetto patching if I screw it up.
I cannot use the drill bit for wood from Home depot?
I may take you on it Rygh. Thanks

oh, and if you are worried about it just practice drilling a few holes in a scrap piece. of course you should secure it so it does not cut you to ribbons if it starts spinning:)

1.5" hole with wood bit? That's a BIG bit! I think most are referring to a hole saw. Anyone used a spade bit for this?

For small holes, <1/2", you can use a usual wood twist bit. It works better - less grab - if it's tip is ground for acrylic.

Two issues. Acrylic does not have the grain structure of wood so doesn't chip off like wood. Also there is a lot of heat generated and acrylic melts. Wood doesn't melt. :)

Note : Best way to cut a big hole is with a router. Very clean cut.
But you need a template.

The heat causes two problems. It can melt around the bit, making a mess of course.
But it also damages the acrylic a little ways beyond the hole, weakening it slightly.
Not really a major concern, but be careful next to any joints, and do not over-tighten bulkheads.
I often double up the acrylic where I drill and put in a bulkhead.

Back