got ethical husbandry?

Using/cleaning refractometer

aqua-nut

Supporting Member
How do you clean your refractometer?

My usual procedure to clean up before putting away is to wipe the SW off both the cover and prism. Then with a paper towel, dip some RO/DI water and wipe the cover and prism off. Lastly, one more wipe with dry towel. What else should I be doing/not doing?

Also, if you are testing several tanks, do you clean between tests? At this point I just wipe off the cover and prism but don't clean it with RO/DI.

I follow the same procedure other than I use paper towels to clean acrylic that I got from Tap Plastics.

I clean in between every single test.

my "oh-sh#%" water spill accident kit comprises of a few old T-Shirts that stay somewhere near the tank, they have served me & my hardwood floor many times

Also, if you are testing several tanks, do you clean between tests? At this point I just wipe off the cover and prism but don't clean it with RO/DI.

Using a regular non-digital refractometer and if there is no significant concern with cross-contamination, I would typically rinse the cover and prism with the water to be tested. In my head, this is consistent with rinsing a test tube with the water to be tested.

Back