got ethical husbandry?

Resurrecting the 90 Corner Bow

My 90 Corner Bow was started in 2003. Its the old all glass corner bow with the overflow. It started as a saltwater fish only with bioball filtration, eventually evolved into a fowlr with dsb and skimmer, then culminated into a mixed reef. The tank was taken down in late 2010 and remained empty until now.

At the time the tank was taken down a couple of projects was never undertaken. Water movement was one of the issues I had back then so I purchased an Oceans Motions 4 way wavemaker and a reeflow dart pump back in 2010. That's were the tank build starts now 3 years later, with the plumbing and setup of the closed loop system.

I wanted to have a refugium so you'll notice the aqueon proflex, not very happy with the quality when i got it.

The goal of the system is to have water moving like a barrel. Water comes down from the back, from the lower back to the front, from the lower front to the top then surface to the back of the tank. The bigger pipes are the outlets and the little ones are the inlet. Initially I thought of drilling bulkheads into the glass, but a friend of mine reminded me that this state of ours is not "tremor free". So I opted for the more convoluted approach. more to come................

Next the other project that I had was to change the tonga rock that I had to reef saver rock. I got about 100lbs of BRS eco rock that I put together with purple putty and thorite cement. I was kinda nervous of the thorite cause I bought the stuff 3 years ago and shelf life was 1 year according to Marco Rocks.

If anyone wants a screaming deal on the tonga rock I have about 90lbs worth that I am willing to sell for dirt cheap just email or PM me...

Clean plumbing & I'm liking the rock work !
Rock work looks great and pipes are spot on.

Looking forward to future pics

Thanks guys. I found that the reefsaver stuff was alot easier to aquascape. I found that I did not have to whack or cut away much. The pieces fit nicely however way you want to present it. I had great fun configuring the closed loop plumbing, it was quite therapeutic actually putting the pieces together. I also have a great cheering squad, my wife, 4 year old and 4 month old.

With the old setup I also had DA's reefkeeper with net. Found out that I had to send out the SID back to DA because I can't upgrade the firmware via the pc or net. PITA. Finally got that back and started to upgrade the firmware.

I also noticed that the Reefkeeper systems out now have the temp probes that's shielded like the ph probes. Was there anything wrong with the old or 1st generation RKE temp probes?

The old setup had the net module setup wirelessly via powerline (using the electrical outlet to get closer to the router), but it had its share of issues. So I decided to drop a line right next to the tank and route that back to the switch.

Learning how to bend conduit, thanks YouTube!! Thinking of using conduit tubing for LED light mounts. I'm seriously thinking about Kessils.......

Not quite the Damsel in distress with the tank all to herself. There she is setting off the cycle. I almost just threw her in the sump instead of the DT. Gonna be fun catching her once I start to stock more docile fish.

That's some great work. The plumbing looks a little busy but great work nonetheless.
I tried to forgo the the bulkheads on the glass, which meant spaghetti tubing. the only issue i have now is the vibration or water hammer because of the busy plumbing causing some sort of back pressure. I have the main inlet dialed down now, but I have to sort it out before the corals come in. No sense in having the tank flow dialed down. I'm thinking of building a canopy to house the OM-4way on top to have less busy piping and more room for dosers and such. the corner bows have barely any room underneath.

That plumbing is crazy! I have a 55 gallon and hope eventually to move up to a 92 like yours. Your rockwork setup is similar to what I have currently and I think takes best advantage of the shape of the tank. Eager to see how you stock this!

Back