Neptune Aquatics

Picasso Clown pair spawn: Odd couple

Well, as the title says these two started to spawn... I need advice what to do next or should i let the young-lings grow inside the tank?

Attachments

• ClownFish.jpg
    ClownFish.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 312
Whoo, congratulations Junne!

The first 3-5 spawns are typically disappointing in terms of hatch rate or larvae survival. I recommend keep feeding the parents well and practice rotifer culturing until the third spawn or later. Try putting a removable substrate such as a pot or tile near where the clutch is laid before their next spawn, so that down the road you can easily relocate the eggs into a separate hatching tank.

Last edited:
Whoo, congratulations Juune!

The first 3-5 spawns are typically disappointing in terms of hatch rate or larvae survival. I recommend keep feeding the parents well and practice rotifer culturing until the third spawn or later. Try putting a removable substrate such as a pot or tile near where the clutch is laid before their next spawn, so that down the road you can easily relocate the eggs into a separate hatching tank.
Thanks David.. I was reading some threads about this but was not sure if the pot and tile are the one's offered by Home Depot? I was thinking of pruning the live rock in my house tank and moving some of the eggs to my office tank but we will see how it goes. Well, I have some catching up to do with rotifers i have no clue how this is done.

Junne

Yes, you want to try to get clay or otherwise natural substrate, which could be found at Home Depot. 4" terra cotta pots are great IME, though some folks have trouble aerating them for hatching and prefer tiles. If you use a tile, I would suggest avoiding glazed finishes that would prevent eggs from attaching.

If you are looking to rear the larvae, you'll do yourself a huge favor by coming to the Breeding and Propagation Workshop. Robin and Jim's presentations will be the best primer possible for getting you ready. :) Their core message is that captive breeding of marine ornamentals is easier than ever and can be done at home by the average hobbyist.

In terms of books, I think the two best resources are:
The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes by Matt Wittenrich
Clownfishes: A Guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History by Joyce Wilkerson

Wittenrich's book is rife with the most recent information related to captive breeding, including culturing live feeds. However he essentially states that clownfish are adequately covered elsewhere and chooses to focus on all the other species - can't really blame him, but IMO it's not easy to find solid reliable information about clowns when you're first starting out, especially with Wilkerson's book still out of print.

Wilkerson's book is still the definitive clownfish breeding book, and it's easy to relate to her own experiences. The portions of her book regarding nutrition and larvae rearing techniques are rather dated, however, but that's why you also want to have Wittenrich's book.

Last edited:
But the top one actually looks like a true perc because of his eyes now that i look at it... the bottom one his eyes are all black from what i see in the pic picasso have crazy lines or patterns like this one from marvins reef
e7e5erep.jpg

Back