Reef nutrition

Bumbling newbie's 65g mixed reef

LOL! I haven't posted one of those. My phone doesn't take great FTS pics, so I need to break out and try my point and shoot, which I haven't done in a LONG time. But, I need to try it and see if the pics are any better.

LOL! I haven't posted one of those. My phone doesn't take great FTS pics, so I need to break out and try my point and shoot, which I haven't done in a LONG time. But, I need to try it and see if the pics are any better.

our tank sizes are roughly the same. would love to see what you've got going on and compare bioload! sometimes i wonder if i have too much or too little.

our tank sizes are roughly the same. would love to see what you've got going on and compare bioload! sometimes i wonder if i have too much or too little.

Here are a couple of FTS. I decided to go ahead and take them since I really like seeing pictures before and after a few years growth. I counted 25 frags this past weekend, but looking at my tank, all I see is rock.

My clowns finally seem to be making a home for themselves. Last night I found the little one actually laying down in the sandbed to sleep. Sorry, no flash. Didn't want to wake her.

thanks deeann!! couple of questions:

1. What did you use to secure the rock to the pvc? Did you drill a hole for the PVC? I wish I could go back and redo my rock attachments.

2. what total water volume do you currently have and how often are your water changes?

1. The PVC has little holes drilled all over. I used zip ties and epoxy to secure everything. It's funny, but I have moved my rock around a few times. I have finally decided to just leave it. I know there are some places where the PVC is still visible, but I figure coral growth will eventually cover it.

2. The tank is 65g and the sump holds something over 11g (figure it normally contains 8-9g). Last few weeks I've been doing ~20g weekly water changes. I think I must have had a snail die in there someplace and was getting a fishy smell from the tank, so I was changing more water than strictly necessary. Smell is gone now, so will probably lower the volume to 15g. My mixing container is 20g and would like to have that extra 5g left over after WC, for emergencies or acclimation (or whatever).

Agree 20 gal a week is probably a bit overkill, but its always like once your in there doing it, might as well just keep going and really make it count! Weekly water changes really are awesome.
You see. To have your bases covers with the ph, I wouldn't chase numbers, just shoot for consistency...

1. The PVC has little holes drilled all over. I used zip ties and epoxy to secure everything. It's funny, but I have moved my rock around a few times. I have finally decided to just leave it. I know there are some places where the PVC is still visible, but I figure coral growth will eventually cover it.

2. The tank is 65g and the sump holds something over 11g (figure it normally contains 8-9g). Last few weeks I've been doing ~20g weekly water changes. I think I must have had a snail die in there someplace and was getting a fishy smell from the tank, so I was changing more water than strictly necessary. Smell is gone now, so will probably lower the volume to 15g. My mixing container is 20g and would like to have that extra 5g left over after WC, for emergencies or acclimation (or whatever).

Yeah for the record, coraline is growing on my pvc/nylon threads, so i assume pvc will get covered eventually.

Oooh I've had many snails die, but I've been lucky to find them in the rockwork since I have a lot of empty space beneath. The hard part still is grabbing parts of the snails that don't decompose (the cover over the foot). Good to know your strategy with the extra 5 gallon left-over. I may opt to do that also.

Cool! Do you have dimensions of those 10 gallon containers? One of those would make an awesome ATO reservoir if it will fit in my stand.

Got measurements for you Felicia. You can see in the picture that the 10g container is pretty cylindrical, with a bit of a lip at the top. The outside bottom diameter is ~13.5 inches, outside top diameter ~15 inches and hight is ~21 inches. Will that work for you?

Got measurements for you Felicia. You can see in the picture that the 10g container is pretty cylindrical, with a bit of a lip at the top. The outside bottom diameter is ~13.5 inches, outside top diameter ~15 inches and hight is ~21 inches. Will that work for you?
Darn! Unfortunately its a bit too big for the space I have in my stand. Please let someone else take it! Thanks, DeeAnn.

Back