High Tide Aquatics

Kill Green bubble

Best way? Well the best way is to remove all the rocks with bubble, and never put them back in your tank. Now usually that's inconvenient because you have corals, coraline, money invested in the rocks you don't want to just throw away. So you have a number of choices, remove rocks, scrub outside. Pick off manually, use siphon hose as you're doing it to suck them up while you're working.

However you should be fully prepared to have to deal with this problem forever and just notch it up as another piece of tank maintenance that you add to the list.

Pop them, emerald crabs, fox face rabbitfish, stiff brush
Or of course remove the rock and dry it out
Desiccation is a sure cure

Will RO/DI water work or just dry out? My goal is to cut rock out, cut coral off rock. Then ill clean inside tank with water and brush to remove more bubbles. Pipes and return hose needs to be clean, can i just run fresh water through pips and hose to kill anything in them? Rock not really important, I'm not going to use it for awhile if ever, just want to start over from scratch. Want GREEN BUBBLES GONE!!! Lol they are so ugly...

Sent from my LG-V909 using Tapatalk 2

I had a bad bubble algae infestation for the past year. They were everywhere and forming clumps it was so bad. I tried hand picking and siphoning and it would look fine for a week or so, but then grow back.

A few months ago, I tossed in 2 emerald crabs and my rock work and sand bed are now clean. I had to pick off areas they can't reach, but I'm not getting any regrowth. I known the crabs are hit or miss, but the ones I got worked like a charm.

I had a bad bubble algae infestation for the past year. They were everywhere and forming clumps it was so bad. I tried hand picking and siphoning and it would look fine for a week or so, but then grow back.

A few months ago, I tossed in 2 emerald crabs and my rock work and sand bed are now clean. I had to pick off areas they can't reach, but I'm not getting any regrowth. I known the crabs are hit or miss, but the ones I got worked like a charm.

I put in 5 emerald crabs 2 months ago and i popped some and crabs made some come off the rock, but in a matter a couple weeks they came back and covered every spot on rock. How do I kill all of the bubbles? Let the rocks dry out or soak rock in fresh water?

Sent from my LG-V909 using Tapatalk 2

Do your own research smart-ass. What do you think is contained inside the bubble?

I don't have problems with bubble algae, do you?
What do you think is inside? I trust rich and Erin who both say popping works great and won't spread them. If you think you know better than them, fine by me. I'll listen to professionals who know more than I do , not a random Angry sounding fellow on the forum that I've never met or seen his tank.

Emerald crabs worked for me...had to crush the really large ones they couldn't get a grip on.... My rabbit fish wouldn't touch them, but may have been just the one fish.

-Gregory

I can't get the rocks out of my tank, so I started syphoning them out (large tweasers and a siphon) each time I did a water change. After about 3 water changes I was back on top of the problem. They are still there, but nothing like they were before. It's tedious, but not impossible.

Yea my rocks are attached to tank so I cant just pull the out, I have to cut them out. Waiting for a part to come in mail today so I can start cutting. Ill take a picture when light comes on

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I don't have problems with bubble algae, do you?
What do you think is inside? I trust rich and Erin who both say popping works great and won't spread them. If you think you know better than them, fine by me. I'll listen to professionals who know more than I do , not a random Angry sounding fellow on the forum that I've never met or seen his tank.
The bubbles contain spores that will grow more algae. Popping while surrounded by a siphon cup will remove the spores but just popping them can increase the problem. I have gotten at least a dozen rescue corals with bubble algae and removed it while in a separate container while acclimating. I don't have a single piece of bubble algae in my tank

Here are a few pictures.. once mailman gets here I am going to start cutting rock out
jyvuhedy.jpg
a6esynys.jpg
7e2une7e.jpg
amuzahap.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Regarding the spores in the bubble algae, good article here:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

Basically, from that and what I have heard elsewhere:
Yes, there are spores inside some bubble algae, but the fear is blown a bit out of proportion.

Key : Popping them is always better than leaving them as-is!
So if you can do it outside the tank, or with a siphon, great.
But if not, pop and scrape them anyway. Left alone, they will definitely put out spores.

Generally:
Manual removal as possible
Nitrate reduction

Back