got ethical husbandry?

Sump orientation for a 250 gal display

I'm helping a friend's dad restore & replumb a 250 gal display. He had a 29 gal sump, but I'm upgrading the sump to a 125 gal and relocating all the plumbing, sump, & equipment in the garage. Gen of Kritter Tanks is converting the 125 gal Truvu into a custom sump. He made a cad drawing with the the sump orientation from left to right: return<skimmer section<fuge<fresh water reservoir. There are two 1 1/2" drains with one feeding the H&S A-200 skimmer and the other feeding the fuge.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• JimYuenSumpConversion.jpg
    JimYuenSumpConversion.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 229
I plan on doing the following:

[ fuge | return | skimmer ]

I still haven't decided where I would put my ATO but that's TBD. If anything, I'd probably place it near or right next to the return section so that the return would be the back half of its section and the ATO would be at the front half of its section. I'm also have the drain tee'd off to the skimmer and fuge areas with the return tee'd off to any reactors I will be running.

[ fuge | return | skimmer ]
[ fuge | ATO | skimmer ]

That confuses me a bit. Are you splitting the return section to make a super small top off area? I wouldn't bother unless its like 5 gal minimum.

Make sure you have an ATO that's going quite frequently, that return area is just over 5g, so based on the size of the tank and the sump evaporating 20+% per day probably is not going to be unheard of. Also only 6" of water in the return area, make sure your return pump isn't too strong otherwise it might suck down a stream of air.

Also, awfully large skimmer section isn't it? 30" ? I would probably opt for more fuge space.

Back