Our mission

BAR Members Take On One @$%#* 250 Gal Tank !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool project!!

What I get a kick out of is how fast it went from a terrible mess to what appears to have coral in it!
And this is from Jim, who took ... lets say "a little while" ... to get water in his tank.
:p

Very cool project!!

What I get a kick out of is how fast it went from a terrible mess to what appears to have coral in it!
And this is from Jim, who took ... lets say "a little while" ... to get water in his tank.
:p

Yep...I wanted it done for him by Christmas to show off to the relatives.

Good thing he wasn't adding a second story addition plus installing a 450 gallon tank like I was...we would have had the second longest tank thread on BAR !

How long did it take to do all that? Was waiting for the rocks/cement to cure the long waiting period? Or did you knock this out in a couple weekends?

I wish it was that easy Mike. I broke the tank down on a Friday afternoon. Bob came by later (after pulling a 10 hour day) to help with removing the sandbed. My buddy John and his son showed up to help move the sand bed outside into a nice pile. I had scheduled Johnny and Denzil for that Saturday to give the rock a acid bath (which took about 2 hours) then neutralized with baking soda. Denzil took sbout 12 hours over 2 days to make the tank look good again (believe me it was no small feat). That was the easy part. John (my buddy who recruited me to head the project) wanted to run the pipe under the house (of course he had to clean all the crap under the house first and we made a materual run to Lowe's and Urban Farmer in SF). In the meantime I found a 125 gallon tank that Gen converted to a sump for me (which took a couple of weeks). This gave me time to cycle the tank and add Dr. Tim's One and Only. Mr Z had a friend add two 20 amp circuits and rough out a 3/4" threaded balvalve so I can add a Kold Sterile Filter system. So basically this had been going on for roughly a month. I should finish plumbing everything this week and will cross my fingers during the water test. I'll be servicing the tank from now on. ..so I want it done right from the get go.

Last edited:
See Jim, you should have done your tank build like that, wait for it to be almost done, then start posting :D

But yeah, it always takes more time to fix a problem and make it right than to make it right from the get go.

See Jim, you should have done your tank build like that, wait for it to be almost done, then start posting :D

But yeah, it always takes more time to fix a problem and make it right than to make it right from the get go.

If I had the help with my tank build like I did with this rebuild it would have been done a long time ago...but then again where's the fun in that ? :p

i-d7MCWPh-M.jpg

I removed a homemade Aqua C knockoff.....which didn't exactly skim much.

Its a Super Reef Devil from ETSS knock-off. You can tell by the downdraft at the top. Ask Tony Vargas about ETSS, he had a hand in the creation IIRC. (that model was very ineffective I found)

Its a Super Reef Devil from ETSS knock-off. You can tell by the downdraft at the top. Ask Tony Vargas about ETSS, he had a hand in the creation IIRC. (that model was very ineffect).

That's right...I knew it was a old down draft knockoff. Ineffective is a understatement. ..looking forward to what the H&S will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back