Cali Kid Corals

mediumrare's 40breeder SPS +10g satellite

Some new photos! dicking around with my macro lense.

Ponape (about the size of a tennis ball
VIjkcCO.jpg

Cali Tort
g6EnfUh.jpg

Some Acro
DGGhDSW.jpg

sailfin juvenile
3r2KIDz.jpg

6-line
y0MsG5P.jpg

another of the 6-line
GrH3WBs.jpg

Here are some equipment updates since my original post:

Display:
40 Breeder
2x MP10Wes
1x Jaebo wp40
(yes this is a sh*( load of circulation for a 40..but my SPS love it!)

2x AI vega color

Satellite:
10 gallon
maxi-jet 1200 as a return, currently no other circulation
1x AI-nano

Sump:

Reefoctopus xp-1000sss cone skimmer
chaetomorpha and ulva in refugium
BRS media reactor with GFO carbon
Aquagadget minimax (x2) 1 for biopellets, 1 for GFO
2x precision aquarium dosing pumps
Jager heater and fan on Ranco controller
Avast skimmate locker and ATO
sock changed once a week (I rarely run socks these days)

Dosing:

Bionic 2 part via dosing pumps
Bionic Magnesium as needed
Brightwell Aquatics: Ferrion, Strontion, Potassion and Replenish as needed.
Prodobio bioclean every month

Total estimated water volume with sump and "display" tanks: ~60-65 gallons

I've also added a Neptune Apex controller mainly to manage my reactors, returns and jaebo powerhead.

Very nice! Pretty much the direction I am looking to go. How is the drain in the 40B configured? Single hole with an elbow?

Did you use biopellets from the start, or did the need gradually develop?

Very nice! Pretty much the direction I am looking to go. How is the drain in the 40B configured? Single hole with an elbow?

Did you use biopellets from the start, or did the need gradually develop?

I have a single 1.5 inch overflow done by a 90 degree elbow, same as what you see at most LFS's. I have gutter guard, which i inspect regularly and clean, over the drain to prevent snails and large crap from clogging my overflow. The return on my tank is pretty low, so i dont have a huge gph flow through my overflow. (I'm considering upgrading my return to add more "through sump" flow)

To be completely honest, I added this reactor to my system out of sheer curiosity and need to tinker than a need to control nutrients. For biopellets i only added them on a few months ago, and I started with a MUCH MUCH smaller amount than what is "recommended" for my system volume. I am still slowly increasing the media volume, as have heard horror stories associated with biopellet use. I'm still not convinced that they provide any benefit, but, maybe i haven't hit a point where they do. To be completely honest, I added this reactor to my system out of sheer curiosity and need to tinker than a need to control nutrients.

... To be completely honest, I added this reactor to my system out of sheer curiosity and need to tinker than a need to control nutrients. ....
Funny, I do the same thing as well. Tried many things. Great fun.
Probably not the best for the tank ... but .... ehh.

That ponape birdsnest seems to be growing faster and faster now that i'm checking levels and getting back in the maintenance groove.

~5 months of neglect and im amazed I only lost two pieces.

Back