Neptune Aquatics

aqua-nut's 120 - getting back to salt!

Finally an awful video of the tank as of today.

Things are small but growing. Some still looking for a permanent location. I really wanted to document the reduction of Bryopsis. The foxface has been going to town on it! A couple of weeks ago the right side mountain was almost all green fuzzy!

Finally an awful video of the tank as of today.

Things are small but growing. Some still looking for a permanent location. I really wanted to document the reduction of Bryopsis. The foxface has been going to town on it! A couple of weeks ago the right side mountain was almost all green fuzzy!
Beautiful system John. I can't wait for salt! Still running tap water so far.
I have a similar hair algae problem in my 72, would you recommend the Fox face with SPS?

Thanks for the complement. Right now it looks more like a frag farm! Grow little frags, GROW!

At this point 'recommend' is just a guess. The FF has been in the tank for less than a month. I do worry about what will happen once all the algae is gone. Will the FF turn it's attention to the corals? Only time will tell.

They are listed on LA as 'with caution'. They have potential to bother LPS and softies if not well fed. I will have to fight my natural inclination to under feed!

And as a reminder, the algae in question is not hair algae, it's Bryopsis. This is the last algae type remaining. The Kole tang, FF, Starry Blenny and snails went after all the other algae first. I was just about to give up on the grazing crew for Bryopsis when, bam, they attacked it. :)

There is competition between the FF and Kole. If one nibbles at something the other wants in on it! The FF is better at getting down in the narrow spots, the Kole is better at flat surfaces. Makes sense when you see how their mouth parts are constructed.

The tank looks greast John! I LOVE bubble coral. I had a healthy one for a couple years in my first tank. Tried several times after that, and never could keep one happy again. :( I really like the big ravine in your scape. Looks very cool.

As for the bryopsis........It's great that the foxface is going after it. Have you considered an urchin? I'm not sure they would eat bryopsis, but they are great at keeping the rocks clean. If I recall, you have a glass tank, so not worries about chewing on the acrylic. I would recomment a tuxedo urchin. They tend to be small enough not to knock over all your coral. However, if they are not glued down, you could have a problem.

Congrats on the tank, and the song was hilarious! This is a drug for sure. :D

The tank looks greast John! I LOVE bubble coral. I had a healthy one for a couple years in my first tank. Tried several times after that, and never could keep one happy again. :( I really like the big ravine in your scape. Looks very cool.

As for the bryopsis........It's great that the foxface is going after it. Have you considered an urchin? I'm not sure they would eat bryopsis, but they are great at keeping the rocks clean. If I recall, you have a glass tank, so not worries about chewing on the acrylic. I would recomment a tuxedo urchin. They tend to be small enough not to knock over all your coral. However, if they are not glued down, you could have a problem.

Congrats on the tank, and the song was hilarious! This is a drug for sure. :D

Thanks Kris. It is a work in progress. At least I'm starting to see some progress!

The tank is acrylic. I'm kinda freaked about creatures that clean rock but might hurt the acrylic. I recently added a Fighting Conch and THEN found out it might be a problem. Keeping an eye out for possible damage.

I had a real problem in a past tank with chitons. The bottom third of the tank looked like frosted glass!

I couldn't let Felicia be the only one using country music! The band is 'Asleep at the Wheel'. Song by Huey Lewis!

Time for the most boring tank video ever! I put water in the beast today! No funny noises from the stand. Didn't have to dance upon it to test!

I really like the 'beananimal' drain system. It's so quiet!

Take a look & listen here:

[youtube]mwlhJNG4SxA[/youtube]

Oh yeah, kudos to Gimmito for his live video and narration. It's really hard not to sound like an idiot while doing the video. Jim does a great job of not sounding like an idiot! ;)
Can't see that video on you tube, any chance of a new link?

Yes Denzil, you do need to get to the stand! (says the king of procrastination!) :)

A pic with the lights installed! Fish and corals soon - really. ;)

One of these days I'll figure out the image posting tricks. This is a 'Cinemascope' kind of image. :( Not for viewing on a phone!!

newlights.jpg
Nice scape. I think this is one of the more important parts of the reef because it is very disruptive to change once all the stuff is growing!:D

Thanks Kris. I decided to go with AI Sol Blue LEDs. Right now they are running at 100% with no controller. I have an Apex that I will install 'soon'. :) The reason I went with the Sol was it's controllable by the Apex. It's far from the newest technology. I hope it works out.

John, I also purchased the apex for my new project. I have had 2 sol blues on my 72 for a couple years now. Recently I purchased a vega which is not controllable by the Apex. I haven't figured out my strategy for lighting yet but I am considering sol blues which I can order custom pucks for and still control. Any comments and advice are appreciated.:)

Yes Denzil, you do need to get to the stand! (says the king of procrastination!) :)

A pic with the lights installed! Fish and corals soon - really. ;)

One of these days I'll figure out the image posting tricks. This is a 'Cinemascope' kind of image. :( Not for viewing on a phone!!

newlights.jpg
Love that rock work!

Thanks for the kind words, Scarbird and Marc!

Scarbird, just like buying computers, LEDs seem to upgrade just AFTER you purchased yours! I know Apex has been changing it's programming and adding control to other lights. I have not been paying close attention to the developments because I have no plans to change the lights! The best info on what is controllable can be found at the Apex forum, http://forum.neptunesystems.com/

John, I also purchased the apex for my new project. I have had 2 sol blues on my 72 for a couple years now. Recently I purchased a vega which is not controllable by the Apex. I haven't figured out my strategy for lighting yet but I am considering sol blues which I can order custom pucks for and still control. Any comments and advice are appreciated.:)
I'm in a similar boat with a pair if sols. If you decide to go another direction I am likely interested in your pair.

OK. I just stumbled on the info about the other AI products. They can all be controlled by Apex. The Vega and Hydra are controlled by an 'AWM' module. Take a look at:
http://www.neptunesystems.com/ai-wireless-led-control-awm/

Where have the days gone? It's been 13 months since my last update.

The tank has grown up. Corals need to be chopped back. I took out a couple of big monti caps yesterday. Going at it with a screwdriver and bone cutter. Mayhem!

A quick iPhone vid. I like the color I get from the phone, just need a tripod mount so it's not so shakey!

Back