Our mission

Low or zero waste Ro/di?

Hey all,
Does anyone here use a low or zero waste Ro system? I noticed Costco has some kind of zero waste your that pushes the waste into the hot water lines. For whatever reason, they can't ship to California...

I figured it was time to get a new system. My old BRS system sold with my house when I moved.

Given the drought I figure being conscious of the waste is a good idea. I'm in an appt so I can't really capture or store the waste for any potential reuse. Haha besides when I had my house I recall "saving" Ro waste in the washing machine and causing a ridiculous mess when that overflowed on me. Oops.

Is a booster pump needed here?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

based on what I see on Costco's site it looks like none of their units have a DI stage, frankly at that price point zero waste water + 0 tds is a bit too good to be true.

If you can afford it Spectrapure carries 1:1 systems but they start at $899

Trigger's recommendation is great and costs less, though i think you will more than likely need a booster pump as well, with low pressure efficiency is irrelevant.

Hmm never heard of anything that pushes water pack into the system. But if does, that's not code in CA. That's a good way to get contaminants like bacteria into the water supply and get people sick.

BRS has a water savers kit that takes the waste water from the first RO and feed it into a second RO membrane. This will reduce waste water going down the drain and increase product water. It will require at lease 65-70PSI from your water line. If your pressure isnt high enough then a booster is needed. Some old homes that have corroded pipes need a booster pump because of the low pressure.

Here is a link to the BRS filter kit
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/328/

Hmm never heard of anything that pushes water pack into the system. But if does, that's not code in CA. That's a good way to get contaminants like bacteria into the water supply and get people sick.

BRS has a water savers kit that takes the waste water from the first RO and feed it into a second RO membrane. This will reduce waste water going down the drain and increase product water. It will require at lease 65-70PSI from your water line. If your pressure isnt high enough then a booster is needed. Some old homes that have corroded pipes need a booster pump because of the low pressure.

Here is a link to the BRS filter kit
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/328/

Dang these guys type fast lol! Ninja post!

I'd always advise everyone that they actually check their water parameters before getting a system to filter their water. If your TDS is on the low side you can possibly go other directions than RO, if your pressure is on the low side getting a booster pump is a must. Lots of different configurations you can go through too, vanilla RO unit, double membrane unit, no membrane unit. Many run waste water to the yard and simply don't water very much. Options like what Erin mentioned might be viable, but there are pros and co ns to the Kold Ster-il system biggest con probably is that it doesn't filter everything and local water changes can affect what comes out, the upside is that you make water fast, VERY fast, if you check the water that you make at any given time then you should be fine though.

Also how large of a tank are we talking about? Small tanks I wouldn't worry too much about "wasted" waste water, as tanks get larger waste water can become a concern, especially considering the big "D" word that's been thrown around recently all the while the school I work at has sprinklers pop on for the weedy front grass area at 9:30 every night regardless if it's raining or not.

You can add the water saver upgrade to a BRS kit.

Check it out here http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-150-gpd-water-saver-upgrade-kit.html
based on what I see on Costco's site it looks like none of their units have a DI stage, frankly at that price point zero waste water + 0 tds is a bit too good to be true.

If you can afford it Spectrapure carries 1:1 systems but they start at $899

Trigger's recommendation is great and costs less, though i think you will more than likely need a booster pump as well, with low pressure efficiency is irrelevant.

Yeah the BRS add on is pretty inexpensive. That's a good idea. I don't know that I want to pay 899 for an rodi system. Heh.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I'd always advise everyone that they actually check their water parameters before getting a system to filter their water. If your TDS is on the low side you can possibly go other directions than RO, if your pressure is on the low side getting a booster pump is a must. Lots of different configurations you can go through too, vanilla RO unit, double membrane unit, no membrane unit. Many run waste water to the yard and simply don't water very much. Options like what Erin mentioned might be viable, but there are pros and co ns to the Kold Ster-il system biggest con probably is that it doesn't filter everything and local water changes can affect what comes out, the upside is that you make water fast, VERY fast, if you check the water that you make at any given time then you should be fine though.

Also how large of a tank are we talking about? Small tanks I wouldn't worry too much about "wasted" waste water, as tanks get larger waste water can become a concern, especially considering the big "D" word that's been thrown around recently all the while the school I work at has sprinklers pop on for the weedy front grass area at 9:30 every night regardless if it's raining or not.

I'm in Cupertino on Homestead Road, do not sure what water district I'm in. I just tested and I've got a whopping 390 tds... Yikes. The water has an unpleasant taste... Almost salty...

Of all things the movers packed the di part of my old brs system as I had it offline for cleaning so I've got a di canister just no media. Hahaha

I am probably going to go for about a 60g tank, and then just standard drinking and cooking water on top of that. Maybe I'll stick with a dual membrane system and live with the waste for now.... My apartment has a fixed water rate so I guess it doesn't really matter too much.

As much as the kold steri looks promising I think ro is the route I'm most comfortable with as I use the ro water in my netti pot and have a reasonable level of confidence in will filter out the dreaded brain amoeba.... :)

My problem is I ha email no way to get the waste water out of my suite and to the patio where I could water plants..

Ha yeah my apartment waters the lawn every night at 10pm... I know not to take the dog out at that time.....

yeah the Kold Ster-il unit is a nice pre-filter type of system and works great if your incoming water is already pretty damn good, but it's not really as aggressive as an RO unit for taking stuff out of water (and I know Erin will start arguing with me over it ;))

Note that the Kold Ster-il method does not adsorb calcium or alkalinity.
If your water is high in either, then you add reef salt mix, you could end up
with some rather large values.
Just make sure to test it after adding salt.

Do you polish it up with DI resin? or just using what comes out?

I wouldn't suggest changing what you do either, if it works, keep letting it work :D

I have always polished tank water with DI but not the drinking water... Yup guess if it works no sense changing.

This time around I'll invest in our efforts of those flow based filter monitors so I can get a better idea of when to change them...

Back