Kessil

Fish suggestions

I recently lost my black capped basslet which owned my 40 gallon mixed reef for the last several years. I am looking to stock the tank with a collection of new fish which I will order, purchase and pick up all at once. My current fish I want are a clown goby and a Midas blenny. I want to stock the tank full as possible because the last several years it appeared I had no fish (the basslet was very shy) but would not allow any other fish. The tank is very established and running a kessil 350w and I do weekly maintenance. Suggestions on some cool active and different fish that all will get along and keep my corals happy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

To satisfy your needs, a harem of wrasses, some percs, dottyback, and anthias.
4x flame wrasses or substitute for a mix of McCosker, whipfin, and longfin
2x platinum percs
1x Aussie multicolor dottyback
2x barlett anthias or sunburst
1x yellow coris wrasse (for color)
2x alleni damsels (for color)

Here you got a mixture of shapes and sizes with predominant red/pink/orange for background
and splash of blue and yellow.

Your two fish +
1 x Bangaii cardinal
2 x purple firefish
1 x McCosker fairy wrasse
2 x clownfish (Ocellaris or some other non-aggressive ones)
2 x Skunk cleaner shrimp

I like Rygh's list. I'm planning on starting a 40 soon, and my stock list looks very similar:

2 x Ocellaris Clowns
2 x Bangaii Cardinals
1 x Royal Gramma Basslet
1 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

I might have to add a McCosker's Fairy Wrasse to my list.

4 wrasses? It's a 40g tank not 400g.
I presently have 2 labouteis, 2 whipfins, yellow corris, 2 cleaner wrasses, and 2 temminckii in a 55gal for 2 yrs now.

that's a lot for a 40 gal
Not really if you know how to aquascape to reduce conflict and know your equipments limitation.

Most of my fat fish are kept 3-5 yrs+ . Once the fish chemistry is set in the system, I do not add any new fish. I just end up with more tanks:)

I presently have 2 labouteis, 2 whipfins, yellow corris, 2 cleaner wrasses, and 2 temminckii in a 55gal for 2 yrs now.
I've seen people with tangs in nano tanks too, just because someone managed to do it "successfully" doesn't necessary mean it should be attempted.

I like Rygh's list. I'm planning on starting a 40 soon, and my stock list looks very similar:

2 x Ocellaris Clowns
2 x Bangaii Cardinals
1 x Royal Gramma Basslet
1 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

I might have to add a McCosker's Fairy Wrasse to my list.

The Royal Gramma might be better than the purple firefish.
Those firefish look nice, but are SO timid.

A yellow coris will do ok but spooks easy and will jump. I would stick with small fish as a 40 isnot alot of room. Check out fish for nano tanks. I know a 40 is bigger than a nano but you want these fish to have some swimming room

Can anyone tell me about the royal gramma's temperament? Reason being my black capped basslet was a total jerk and would not allow another fish and because of my lighting he would only come out when lights were off. I also have an open top. I would like some anthias if anyone has suggestions on a good one to have. Thanks for the responses.

My Gramma was fine, and I had other timid/peaceful fish.
He picked a rock to hang out on, and defended his little spot, but never picked on anyone.

Note that there are some similar colored dottybacks, that are not as friendly.
(The fin is colored and has a spot on the Gramma)

If you want colorful, active swimmers that will be out and about so it actually looks like you have fish, I'd vote for:
1) A coral beauty angel - I've had one in my 30 gallon for over 2 years and she is such a great fish!
2) A yellow coris wrasse - such a pop of color and they are much less aggressive than the other wrasses. Also they stay smaller.

Guess I was wrong. I thought the yellow corris wrasse gets to like 8+ inches? Looked at live aquaria and it said max was 5". I must be thinking of something else similar looking.

I think it was banana wrasse I was confusing it for. They get up to a foot. My bad. Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah, there are a couple similar wrasses that are easy to confuse it with. Luckily the yellow coris will stay pretty small and is very peaceful. I have one in each of my tanks and they're great fish.

in my 40 I have:

Cherub angel. It's been a model citizen with zoas Lps and sps.

Clown

6-line wrasse

Midas blenny

Probably going to add one more fish down the road

Also have a skunk cleaner and fire shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back