Reef nutrition

Marc's ADA 60P build

you guys & all your macro lenses, you make me feel bad for not having one :D

granted I'm going backwards & planning on doing a DIY macro on a $2500 tele lens o_O

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html

I currently own that lens but instead of purchasing a macro lens for my tank i'm going to reverse mount a pentax pancake lens onto the front of that canon lens to allow it macro focus.

The f2 70-200 is one of the most revered tele lenses among canon photographers and we tend to really really love the depth of field it creates, it has a bit of a built in smooth vignette effect which I find myself addicted to haha, should yield some interesting results once converted to macro... I already have both lenses but the pancake lens has a ding on the outside ring so I need to repair or replace it before I can screw it onto my Canon lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html

I currently own that lens but instead of purchasing a macro lens for my tank i'm going to reverse mount a pentax pancake lens onto the front of that canon lens to allow it macro focus.

The f2 70-200 is one of the most revered tele lenses among canon photographers and we tend to really really love the depth of field it creates, it has a bit of a built in smooth vignette effect which I find myself addicted to haha, should yield some interesting results once converted to macro... I already have both lenses but the pancake lens has a ding on the outside ring so I need to repair or replace it before I can screw it onto my Canon lens.
My BIL, Canon guy, has that lens and its awesome!

Macro shots are tricky. Lights play a big role. I have an external flash I run sometimes and it really help with DOF.
Lighting in my SW tank is tricky as well. The blues mess with the cameras sensor and you get some funky shots sometimes. I still have more to learn. I really want to capture that glow look but it seems like post processing is the only want to achieve it well.

Got GBTA today! Awesome under the blue light!
file_zps8834ef2c.jpg

Posin' again!
file_zpsc078f393.jpg

A macro lens or two, possibly a 5D Mk III. :)

However, one thing I will need to focus on (pun intended) is upping my photography skills.

A macro lens or two, possibly a 5D Mk III. :)

However, one thing I will need to focus on (pun intended) is upping my photography skills.
Nice camera! Ive shot one before and it takes great pictures. Good high ISO and vibrant colors. What length Macro lens were you looking at? Anything 100mm and up should work well.

BTW congrats on the new job!

Nice camera! Ive shot one before and it takes great pictures. Good high ISO and vibrant colors. What length Macro lens were you looking at? Anything 100mm and up should work well.

BTW congrats on the new job!
I'm thinking the 100mm 2.8L and possibly the 50mm 2.5. I think I'll want to get the 24-70mm 2.8L eventually too.

I'm thinking the 100mm 2.8L and possibly the 50mm 2.5. I think I'll want to get the 24-70mm 2.8L eventually too.
A 50mm macro would be a nice little prime lens to have but if its going to be for just macro then I say pass on it. Save your money for that 24-70mm that would cover that focal range anyways. All that a 50 macro would allow you to do is get in up close to a flower for example, while you are walking around.

My dream macro lens would be like an 180mm. You can stand further back and not disrupt animals.

A 50mm macro would be a nice little prime lens to have but if its going to be for just macro then I say pass on it. Save your money for that 24-70mm that would cover that focal range anyways. All that a 50 macro would allow you to do is get in up close to a flower for example, while you are walking around.

My dream macro lens would be like an 180mm. You can stand further back and not disrupt animals.
Yeah, that's exactly the reason why I'm interested in the 50 macro. :)

I bought a yellow watchman goby Saturday and I haven't seen him again. This normal? Nothing in sump or on the...floor! He was out all of Saturday...even ate some pellets. When should I be concerned?

I bought a yellow watchman goby Saturday and I haven't seen him again. This normal? Nothing in sump or on the...floor! He was out all of Saturday...even ate some pellets. When should I be concerned?

Totally normal from my experience. If you haven't seen him in a week I might worry, but he'll probably stick his head out in a day or two.

PS: I seriously wouldn't put any fish in my tank without quarantining it first. Tearing your reef apart to get fish out when they get ich is a serious drag.

Totally normal from my experience. If you haven't seen him in a week I might worry, but he'll probably stick his head out in a day or two.

PS: I seriously wouldn't put any fish in my tank without quarantining it first. Tearing your reef apart to get fish out when they get ich is a serious drag.
This will probably be the last fish I put in the tank - You are right, I hope it doesn't bite me in the a$$ later. I hope he makes it. I have seen him yet or any burrows.

Its been a few months...

Tanks doing well. I'm doing weekly 4 gallon water changes. Not supplementing anything yet - dont see any deficits.
I am getting brown algea on the glass but not on the coral. I suspect there are some phosphates in my water since it looks like there are some in the pellet food I feed with. I'll have to get a more accurate nitrate test kit also to test for small amounts in the water.

Side note - thinking about getting a GFO reactor...

Here are some pictures! Enjoy!

file_zps8bceef0c.jpg

file_zps5c1bbbea.jpg

file_zpsbc5a625f.jpg

file_zpsd0fd5d10.jpg

file_zpsaaf80fc5.jpg

file_zps4ef1eb0a.jpg

file_zps896f9f17.jpg

file_zpsdbae48b1.jpg

file_zps2200a591.jpg

file_zpsb8ce5ae4.jpg

Back