Kessil

Felicia's 30 Gallon Seahorse Tank - Seahorses have arrived!!!

Have you seen the new 'Coral' magazine? All about them ponies! There's a great pic of a tank full of babies. SOOOOOoooooo cute!

Felicia, was that gorgonian frag at the last swap yours? (orange with white polyps) I picked it up and it's my very first gorgonian to have, I don't feed it anything, I have it in a good flow area and every week or so when algae manages to grab a hold of it I give it a few squirts or brush off the algae, seems to be doing good but I would love some advice if there is anything else I should be going.

I read in several forums that with most people they only last about a year or so until they die, I'd like to make this puppy last as long as possible :)

Have you seen the new 'Coral' magazine? All about them ponies! There's a great pic of a tank full of babies. SOOOOOoooooo cute!
I saw that the new issue is seahorses, but I don't have a subscription. I just bought a subscription today so I'd get access to the online copy immediately. The order just has to process and then I should be able to access the digital copy tomorrow :)

Felicia, was that gorgonian frag at the last swap yours? (orange with white polyps) I picked it up and it's my very first gorgonian to have, I don't feed it anything, I have it in a good flow area and every week or so when algae manages to grab a hold of it I give it a few squirts or brush off the algae, seems to be doing good but I would love some advice if there is anything else I should be going.

I read in several forums that with most people they only last about a year or so until they die, I'd like to make this puppy last as long as possible :)
I actually didn't make it to the last member swap, so its not a frag from me. However, I do have a yellow finger gorgonian in my tank, so I can tell you what I do to care for it. I have only had it for like a month and a half though, so I'm still unsure how it will do long term. They're NPS, so I would definitely say that you need to start feeding it. I feed my tank a mix of Phytoplex and Marine Snow everyday and then feed Coral Frenzy every other day. Otherwise, it sounds like you have it right with the good flow and algae removal.

Aha I guess I am feeding it (not directly) since I dump a mix of coral food in the tank once or twice a week, I totally forgot who it came from I just remember it was the only of its kind there

Time for a LONG overdue update!

Angled FTS 3/14/14
photo28-1.jpg

Do you see Pixie (the seahorse)?
photo27-1.jpg

Coris Wrasse. He never holds still so he's always blurry in photos.
photo16-1.jpg

Pixie
photo17-2.jpg

Mushies!
photo18.jpg

Spirals
photo19.jpg

Red ball sponge with encrusting zoanthids
photo20-2.jpg

Its so fluffy!
photo21-1.jpg

Zoanthids
photo22-1.jpg

Ric garden
photo23-2.jpg

I love the big polyps on this one
smile.png

photo24-1.jpg

How often do you feed those gorgs? and by what method?? Ive always wanted to try them!
The majority of the gorgonians are photosynthetic, but I have two NPS gorgs and then the spirals wires, sponges, and christmas tree worms all have to be fed. I usually feed once a day with a mix of Phytoplex and Marine Snow. Then every couple days I add in some Reef Frenzy or frozen coral blend food.

So has that wrasse put any dent into the flatworm population? Does he eat them at all?
I assume he's eating the flatworms because he doesn't eat the frozen mysis I feed the seahorses and he isn't getting skinny. He's fat and happy, so he must be eating something. However, there are still a TON of flatworms. I think they've decreased some though, and I've been working on suctioning them out at water changes, so hopefully over time we can decrease the population to a reasonable level.

Back