Neptune Aquatics

Diver's Paradise: Take Two!

Run it in a bucket of tap water for a bit, to get any oils or manufacturing crud off.

Once installed, start with bubbles low. Keep an eye on it.
Really nothing special though.

Run it in a bucket of tap water for a bit, to get any oils or manufacturing crud off.

Once installed, start with bubbles low. Keep an eye on it.
Really nothing special though.
I had heard to add dilute vinegar to the bucket to help remove the oils. Do you recommend that or is just some tap water sufficient? And how long should I run it in the bucket for? A few days? Thanks!

The vinegar would be a good idea to help clean things off. It also foams nicely too.

Hmm that is a nice skimmer. I was going to use my tunze Nana doc with my 37g, but that one you got looks so much nicer haha. What are the dimensions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh and I have to agree that Kpa rock looks great. What quantity did you get and how much did that end up being in terms of pieces? I've never ordered rock online do would have a hard time gauging how much weight would fill my tank.

Vinegar might help clean, yes, but not for oil specifically.
Oil does not dissolve in vinegar. One of those polar / non-polar molecule things.
Detergent would work if you are worried about oil, but then you have to be REALLY sure
to remove the detergent.

I usually run everything for 2 days in a bucket. But ... no science to that, really just an opinion.

The vinegar would be a good idea to help clean things off. It also foams nicely too.

Hmm that is a nice skimmer. I was going to use my tunze Nana doc with my 37g, but that one you got looks so much nicer haha. What are the dimensions?

Its super nice and gets great reviews. Its $84.99 with free Prime shipping on Amazon, so its a steal. Its 4.25" x 7" x 17".

Oh and I have to agree that Kpa rock looks great. What quantity did you get and how much did that end up being in terms of pieces? I've never ordered rock online do would have a hard time gauging how much weight would fill my tank.

Its awesome rock! I got 25 lbs but they almost always give freebies with orders, so they threw in an extra 3 lbs for free. After USPS priority shipping charges, it came out to $5.60 a lb for it. The 28 lbs I got was 9 rocks with a good size and shape variety. KPA is an awesome company to deal with. I've ordered from them sooo many times and I have been more than impressed with everything they've sent me. Definitely check out their website sealifeinc.net.

Vinegar might help clean, yes, but not for oil specifically.
Oil does not dissolve in vinegar. One of those polar / non-polar molecule things.
Detergent would work if you are worried about oil, but then you have to be REALLY sure
to remove the detergent.

I usually run everything for 2 days in a bucket. But ... no science to that, really just an opinion.
D'oh! I do chemistry everyday...that should be obvious hahah. Brain fart! I definitely don't want to put detergent in there, so I think I'll just throw it in a bucket with some tap water for a couple days. I'm itching to try it out anyway and I can't do anything else on the sump until my BRS order arrives Tuesday.

Photos from the Reef Raft grand opening.

Lounge area
IMG_5595.jpg

Display tank by the lounge. Sorry, my iPhone spazzes out with blue lights!
IMG_5598.jpg

Coral flats area
IMG_5586.jpg

There's an $800 mushroom in this tank.
IMG_5566.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

The elegance I bought.
IMG_5603.jpg

Fish and invert room.
IMG_5589.jpg

Fish only display in the fish and invert area.
IMG_5592.jpg

Awesome sea apple in one of the invert tanks.
IMG_5606.jpg

Drygoods
IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5581.jpg

My raffle prize
c2454717-27c3-4e59-bd58-5d78a8533fe3.jpg

T-Shirt from Reef Raft
IMG_5619.jpg

My new scraper
IMG_5621.jpg

Ok now some photos of my new goodies and my tank.

New Elegance partway open
IMG_8143.jpg

Acclimating the snails I purchased. I got a fighting conch, some margarita snails, and a turbo.
IMG_5631.jpg

The conch's eyeball cracks me up
IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

Photo I took to prove that I still have lots of open sand bed space left. It will stay that way! My sand bed is not going to look like a frag rack again!
laugh.png

IMG_5616.jpg

Orange firefish
IMG_8161.jpg

Orange tube nem
IMG_8128.jpg

Tiger Derasa
IMG_8156.jpg

Plate under actinics
IMG_8099.jpg

Plate under regular lighting
IMG_8106.jpg

Symphyllia
IMG_8112.jpg

Chalice
IMG_8119.jpg

White rock flower nem
IMG_8148.jpg

New purple tube anemone I picked up from Aquatic Collection today!
IMG_8171.jpg

2 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Nassarius snail ( lights have been out, so not a lot for him to do), and a bottle of Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods. I'm going to have to find that place I think you mentioned on another thread to get more Tigger pods. Reef Nutrition is always so expensive. I did see the Bangaiis grab a few and they aren't hiding. I'll turn the lights on tomorrow and try to get some pics.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

2 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Nassarius snail ( lights have been out, so not a lot for him to do), and a bottle of Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods. I'm going to have to find that place I think you mentioned on another thread to get more Tigger pods. Reef Nutrition is always so expensive. I did see the Bangaiis grab a few and they aren't hiding. I'll turn the lights on tomorrow and try to get some pics.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
That's great! I'm glad you got your fish. The pods I suggested are the Tisbe pods from AlgaGen. They're a bit pricey too, but they seem to actually multiply in your tank so they'll be around long term. I believe Jess at Diablo was talking about carrying the AlgaGen products, so you can always ask him about it. He's very responsive on Facebook and on here.

What brand probe holder is that from the raffle? Looks to work well with the neptunes temp probe.

I was at the opening also, didn't get anything since I was just passing through. Lots of nice coral!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

What brand probe holder is that from the raffle? Looks to work well with the neptunes temp probe.

I was at the opening also, didn't get anything since I was just passing through. Lots of nice coral!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Its made by Neptunes. It seems like a nice holder.

Its super nice and gets great reviews. Its $84.99 with free Prime shipping on Amazon, so its a steal. Its 4.25" x 7" x 17".

Ah too big for the sump area on my tank. Skimmers have really come down in price and gotten a lot better in recent years..

Its awesome rock! I got 25 lbs but they almost always give freebies with orders, so they threw in an extra 3 lbs for free. After USPS priority shipping charges, it came out to $5.60 a lb for it. The 28 lbs I got was 9 rocks with a good size and shape variety. KPA is an awesome company to deal with. I've ordered from them sooo many times and I have been more than impressed with everything they've sent me. Definitely check out their website sealifeinc.net.

It looks really nice. So much life on it! I paid $12/lb for my last piece of live rock a few years ago and it was as dead as dead can be.

In your experience how does this compare to what we can get locally?

It looks really nice. So much life on it! I paid $12/lb for my last piece of live rock a few years ago and it was as dead as dead can be.

In your experience how does this compare to what we can get locally?

Its definitely very colorful and full of life. I'm already seeing a decent number of pods in this tank and I didn't seed it with any, so they came in on the rock. I've only bought a little bit of live rock locally and both times I bought from Aquarium Concepts. They have live rock that is pretty close is terms of color and life, although I still think the KPA stuff is even more colorful. I know their "premium" live rock (the most colorful stuff) is usually like $8 per pound, so it was cheaper to buy it online. I haven't really checked into live rock at the other stores though, so I can't speak on quality or prices for anywhere else.

Back