got ethical husbandry?

Diver's Paradise: Take Two!

My BRS order came today and I made some progress on the sump set-up. Here's a list of what all came from BRS:
1) Single BRS reactor - I'm going to run a mix of carbon and GFO
2) Cobalt MJ1200 pump for the reactor
3) Eheim Jager Heater because my current heater was too long for the sump
4) Vertex filter sock holder
5) 2 felt 4" filter socks
6) CPR Inflow kit
7) Plumbing supplies - slip to barb fitting for the drain in the overflow box, 3/4" vinyl tubing, tube clamps, 2 barb fitted ball valves
8) Clear silicone

I got my baffles siliconed into the sump tonight and my plan is to let that cure for 2 days before putting any water in the sump. That means Thursday evening is when I'll set up all the plumbing and hopefully get the sump up and running. Since I'm using vinyl tubing for the plumbing, it should be pretty quick and easy to set up. I only had to glue one of the fittings, which was the slip to barb fitting that I glued into the drain bulkhead at the bottom of the overflow box.

Oh, I also had a little acrylic lid cut at TAP Plastics for the overflow box so that no snails can get in and plug the siphon tube.

Baffles in place.

Inside the stand with the sump and the new media reactor.

Alright, the sump and all my new equipment has been up and running for a week now. Here's a video of the new sump set-up:

Also, here's a new video of the tank:

And now for some new photos!
FTS 4/9/14
IMG_5749Edit.jpg

Left Side
IMG_5766Edit.jpg

Middle
IMG_5760Edit.jpg

Right Side
IMG_5770Edit.jpg

Octospawn
IMG_8188Edit.jpg

Tiger Derasa
IMG_8202Edit.jpg

Duncan
IMG_8204Edit.jpg

Elegance
IMG_8210Edit.jpg

Zoanthids
IMG_8224Edit.jpg

Symphyllia Brain
IMG_8235Edit.jpg

Hammer
IMG_8241Edit.jpg

Squamosa
IMG_8247Edit.jpg

Scolys
IMG_8255Edit.jpg

Fighting Conch
IMG_8267Edit.jpg

I made an impulse fish buy today! Oops! :) I went in Baja Reef and they had a whole tank full of fat, healthy leopard wrasses. I got to watch them eat frozen food like fiends and just couldn't resist taking the tiniest one home with me. Here she is!

IMG_8292Edit.jpg

IMG_8287Edit.jpg

IMG_8300Edit.jpg

I also bought a few other things today! I picked up 2 heads on dendro from Aquatic Collection to grow on the shaded base of the bonsai pillar on the right hand side of my rock scape.

IMG_8311Edit.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

I also picked up a large skunk cleaner shrimp at Aquatic Collection.
IMG_8314Edit.jpg

And Baja Reef had just gotten in a shipment of Caribbean gorgonians, so I picked up two nice ones!
IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

Finally, I picked up the custom ATO reservoir that Mike from Micro Reefs made for me. It fits perfectly and holds much more water than any container I could find that would fit in my stand with the sump. Now I've got a little over 4 gallons in FW for top off, so it will last close to a week. I couldn't get a very good photo, but here's the new reservoir. Its black on all sides but the front is clear so I can see the water level.

IMG_8309.jpg

Oh, and my skimmer is breaking in and skimming out some skimmate now!
IMG_8306.jpg

Some new random angle shots of the tank. Sorry for the super blue-ness. My iPhone has issues with white balance, but I was too lazy to get my real camera
smile.png

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

And look how fluffy the elegance is! I am so happy it is doing well.
IMG_5855.jpg

Finally, my YWG and firefish have a weird friendship. They like to hang out together. They were sitting near each other under the little arch which the YWG has claimed as his territory. Since the move into the new set-up, he is sooo much more outgoing. I've even seen him be a bit aggressive at the coris wrasse over his territory near the arch. He's never aggressive with the firefish though. The firefish is more than welcome to share his territory. Fish dynamics are weird!
IMG_5820.jpg

I did some serious cord organizing now that all the equipment is finalized and installed. I got sick of unplugging the skimmer and return pump for feedings, so I bought a powerstrip with power switches for each individual plug.

photo9-6.jpg

I love every single thing in your tank! I especially enjoyed your new leopard wrasse video - that music from Thrones is the best! (are you also addicted to that show?!) Thanks for sharing!!

Back