Reef nutrition

Diver's Paradise: Take Two!

Woo Hoo!! Looks AWESOME!!
Thank you!

I'm hoping it will look even more amazing in a few days. I've got a friend sending me a box of 4 different BTA colorations and 2 hammer coral frags plus some rainbow palys and a baby grafted mushroom. The 4 BTA's are going to all be placed on the center island that is empty. The plan is to have that be just one big blob of BTA's for the clowns I will be getting from Erin in a few weeks. Then the 2 new hammer frags will be going in the empty space up on top of the right hand island.

Alright, so I did a water change on the tank tonight. Its been a couple weeks and the tank still looks great, so I think the extra filtration is really doing its job! Anyways, I did a 7 gallon water change, replaced the carbon and GFO in the reactor, scraped the glass, and changed the filter sock.

I tested my parameters before the water change and here's what I got:
Alk: 9.5 dKH
Ca: 310 ppm
Mg: 1440 ppm

The alk is perfect, so it looks like I've got the dosing pump all dialed in now. I have it adding 3.3 mL twice a day. Once at midnight and once at noon. Mg is also great, but it looks like I'm going to have to start dosing Ca by hand in between water changes. I haven't been dosing any Ca at all, but I should be able to just hand dose some every couple days to keep it in range.

General update, all the corals are doing amazing even with how new this tank is. I'm seeing a ton of growth on my derasa clam recently and the elegance has also noticeably grown. I think the elegance is trying to take over the tank! And to think I was worried it wouldn't do well!
laugh.png
Everything else is super puffy and happy, and everything has recovered their color. A lot of the corals lost color after the crash and its taken a while to get them super vibrant again. I've been feeding Marine Snow and Coral Frenzy for the corals as well as spot feeding mysis to the LPS and nems every couple days.

The fish are also doing amazing. All 5 fish are out and about all day and they had learned the new feeding schedule, so they're always waiting at feeding time, begging for food. I'm now feeding mysis shrimp twice a day, once when I get home from work and once right before lights out. I'm going to pick up my new pair of clowns in the middle of May from Erin. A friend on Nano-Reef is being awesome and sending me a box of BTA's this week, so I'll get those all settled in and have them ready for the clowns. Hopefully the clowns figure out to host them quickly.

Alright its photo time!!! I got a box of goodies from a friend in New Mexico yesterday. He sent me 4 different color BTA's, 3 different hammers, a rafted mushroom, and some nice zoas and palys. I was so thrilled that everything was happy and healthy straight out of the shipping box.

FTS 5/3/14
IMG_6354.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

Left side
IMG_6297.jpg

Middle
IMG_6287.jpg

Right Side
IMG_6279.jpg

New BTAs! One of them got walked over by another one and retracted, so I didn't take photos of it, but its slowly puffing back up now. So here are the 3 that are big and puffy right now.
IMG_6358.jpg

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6359.jpg

New hammers!
IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

Zoas/Palys and grafted mushroom
IMG_6369.jpg

Euphyllia Land
IMG_6332.jpg

Rock Flower Anemones
IMG_6320.jpg

IMG_6333.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

Elegance
IMG_6356.jpg

And to show off my friend's mad shipping skills, here are the anemones in their bags right when I pulled them out of the shipping box. I can't get over how unstressed they were.
IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6221.jpg

IMG_6220.jpg

IMG_6219.jpg

And finally for the Lily fan club
biggrin.png

IMG_6225.jpg

Back