High Tide Aquatics

Kessil A360W - Surface Coverage?

Nav

Wondering whats the max surface area a single A360WE can cover? Is it good for a 40B? (40x40x12)

Or can it do more that that? Considering a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, Soft & Fish)

Also, 40Bs are along the lines of 36x18x18.
The dimensions in your post are quite similar to a tank I'm currently using a 360we on and it works well - Kessils are meant for square/cubish tanks. Tank is 36x36x10.

Reactions: Nav
I would not go with the W version for a tank that small. The spread of the light is 140 degrees, which is outrageously large. If you had that light 2" off the surface of a 40B you'll make a circle of bright light about a 13" in diameter at the water surface, and if the tank wasn't in the way it'd make a circle of light 9 feet wide at the base.

I'm not a fan of Kessils on thin retangular tanks in general, however if you do go with them I would highly suggest the normal spread one, you can always raise and lower it to get the appropriate amount of brightness, the same can't really be said for those with the wide angle spread.

IMO, a single Kessil probably isn't even a good choice for a 40B. much less an ideal one. You are going to have light bleed or dark patches depending on how high you mount it. I don't think a single Kessil would be enough to light a 40B with SPS.

I'd say you have two choices with Kessil:
1. Buy a single Kessil and choose a different tank.
2. Keep the 40B and buy two Kessils.

If you are tied to the 40B, I'd suggest looking at other lighting options. The AI Hydra is rectangular, so you may be able to mount one sideways and get fairly decent coverage. The 160w Maxspect Razor would work perfectly and comes with an on-board controller. Dave at NanoBoxReef would make you a custom fixture that would be sweet if you can wait for a few weeks for his handcrafted goodness.

I haven't yet got a (second) tank n wanted to decide on both a good tank and a light for it...

Thats why I wanted to find out what surface area a Kessil can cover cos I love Kessils...

Sounds like 24x24 is what the 360W can cover? And for sure I can't afford two Kessils and a new tank all together.

The Al Hydra & MaxSpect Razor... Are they better thank Kessils? Quality-wise & Price-wise?

If your close enough, you should visit Neptune Aquatics.

They use the Kessils on many of their display tanks for both marine and freshwater.

You have been bitten by the bug. Your current tank is still a work in progress and your already planning for the next one. :)

You have been bitten by the bug. Your current tank is still a work in progress and your already planning for the next one.

Yea, Neptune is 6 mi from me, been there many times but never looked closely at the lighting. They seem to have the best display tank in the south bay!

Yes, completely bitten... I regret not doing enough research before I got into the hobby, but with my first tank & all the great advise from you BAR members, I now wanna get to the next level :)

The Maxspect Razor is a nice little entry LED lighting system, it's long and thin, and has a built in timer/controller so you can slowly ramp up/down without having to have a separate controller. While the control is limited compared to something like the Ecotech Radion, it still is a good light.

Hey @Navdeep, this tank is 36"x24"x12". This should give you an idea. The light at the far edges isn't going to be usable, but then again we probably aren't growing something that requires a high level of par, that far off from the center of the tank anyway. Hope this helps.

bygeju6a.jpg

4eze4u9u.jpg

Hey @Navdeep, this tank is 36"x24"x12". This should give you an idea. The light at the far edges isn't going to be usable, but then again we probably aren't growing something that requires a high level of par, that far off from the center of the tank anyway. Hope this helps.

I remember seeing those tanks in reef raft? ;)

Thanks for the benchmark... I'm looking to buy a rimless of similar size. U know where I could get them? ReefRaft has Cadlights and they are pretty expensive...

I'm not the best person to ask. But to be honest, those CAD Lights setups cost about what you'd spend if you put a brand new setup together yourself.

You can order a comparable size rimless tank from Glass Cages ($200-$300),

You'll get an overflow kit from Glass Holes (probably $50, possibly more) and drill the tank yourself, buy a stand ($149-$299) is pretty standard for a stand unless you DIY, a sump from eShopps or some place similar ($200), plumbing, skimmer of choice ($150).

Of course, there is a good resource here in BAR. In all likelihood you can probably piece together a system by shopping on classifieds. Maybe the tank you'll buy new, but you can save yourself a few hundred by shopping used for the rest of the stuff.

Back