Cali Kid Corals

Reef Hobbyist 29g

your tank should be ok with standard turbos.. i didn't know there was a difference between the turbo snails. you don't need more than 2-3 for a 30 gallon IMO.

sometimes i will pick tem up, and place them on a patch of algae and they will clean it for me. they're not always driven enough to cover every surface.

Reactions: Nav
Got my Chemi-Pure Elite delivered from amazon today. It came in a netted bag which I rinsed in tap water for a while (left a lot of black residue).
IMG_2125.jpeg

I flattened the bag and stuck it right behind the default Aqueon HOB carbon cartridge.
IMG_0465.jpeg

Your tank is coming along nicely.

Are you using the Chemi-Pure Elite for phosphate removal purposes?

I have a HOB filter as well in my 10g tank and been thinking about what media to put in the filter.

Last edited:
I ran a HOB filter on my tank for a long time and I always used some filter floss, ChemiPure Elite, and Purigen. It was a pretty effective combination.

I run the same on both of my 34 gallon Red Sea max plus a fx filter media from Steve from daily city. What is the HOB please. I would like to learn

Its been a little more than a week and the Reef Octopus BH-100 looks like has passed break-in?

Starting to see some gunk being collected. Still end up with full cups of water sometimes but been tweaking to get only the foam to collect.

IMG_2982.JPG

Looking good. Tuning a skimmer is a never ending journey. I only wish there was such a thing as a "self tuning skimmer". :)

Is it normal that it skims only at certain times of the day? Sometimes I see good foaming and collection while other times the foam doesn't even go close to the collection cup...

Is it normal that it skims only at certain times of the day? Sometimes I see good foaming and collection while other times the foam doesn't even go close to the collection cup...

With a small load in the tank I've seen that. My tank is just sand and water now. The cup is half full of brown crud and not skimming any more. Every now and then I see a bit of foam rise up though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, after feeding and especially after dosing the foam will usually retract and the skimmer won't actually produce skimate for a while. That's pretty normal.

The HOB skimmers that are adjusted by moving the collection cup up and down can be a little more tempermental than a regular skimmer that adjusts by changing the outflow. My old Aquamaxx HOB was the same way. It will probably take a good month or two before it becomes more consistent.

Reactions: Nav
I met with Jolo from Addictive Reef Keeping to check out his tank. Very cool setup and variety of coral. He answered a lot of our questions and he was very generous to give us a few coral frags and a light fixture.

tumblr_inline_n4r3xbQkLI1sc62k6.jpg

tumblr_inline_n4r3xmyeyR1sc62k6.jpg

It has a 10k & Actinic and is super bright (enough to light our entire living room).

tumblr_inline_n4r3ytHVyw1sc62k6.jpg

The only problem is that its 48” and our tank is 30”. I’m using it for now (to make sure the SPS are happy) until I decide on my next big light purchase.

Coming to the corals, here’s what we got:
  • 3 frags of bright Trumpets (LPS)
  • Birdsnest (SPS)
  • Maroon w/ green spot Monti (SPS)
Here’s a pic of the acclimation.

tumblr_inline_n4r41wqzpk1sc62k6.jpg

Hey @Navdeep, got an updated shot? How's the new corals doing? How about the clownfish...have they hosted yet?

You're coming off to a much better start then when I first started. I think someone said that earlier too. ;)

After struggling with the LED bar > basic T8 fixture > 48” T5 fixture… I finally decided the get the Kessil.

Went with the 350 because a $100 more on 360WE for the controller support is not something I need right now (not getting a controller in the near future, i might change my mind tho ;) I also got the gooseneck with it.

Here’s the new toy and me unboxing & setting it up…

tumblr_inline_n5724uKmDS1sc62k6.jpg

tumblr_inline_n57259Q4VX1sc62k6.jpg

tumblr_inline_n5725vcjoL1sc62k6.jpg

tumblr_inline_n5726ccwFx1sc62k6.jpg

tumblr_inline_n572b57IAD1sc62k6.jpg

Received my amazon shipment today and was really excited. I’m going to try the Kent dosing after the next water change.

I mixed 1/8tsp of Coral Frenzy to 1 cup of tank water for 25gal in my tank, target fed all my coral (SPS, LPS, Softies, Favia, etc.) and everyone looked really happy sucking in as much as possible.

Inverts too were very happy with the food. Didn’t like my cleaner shrimp hopping on to corals and fighting for food…

tumblr_inline_n5al9yvnmU1sc62k6.jpg

Back