Reef nutrition

Diver's Paradise: Take Two!

I can't wait to see the video of the new clowns.
Thanks for coming by
Grow them...love them
You are the only other person that they know
:)
Guess what?! The smaller clown is already hosting in one of my new BTAs! That was way faster than I ever expected. The larger Darwin is currently hovering over the top of the nem while the male rolls around down in the nems tentacles. Check out the video!

Stunning pictures AND video! Your New Mexico friend is wonderful to send you such goodies! I've been totally unsuccessful with BTA's in my tank - they just disappear - so I am glad I can just enjoy looking at your tank! (I'm also not a cat person (allergic) but love your Lilly.....) Thanks for sharing!!

Stunning pictures AND video! Your New Mexico friend is wonderful to send you such goodies! I've been totally unsuccessful with BTA's in my tank - they just disappear - so I am glad I can just enjoy looking at your tank! (I'm also not a cat person (allergic) but love your Lilly.....) Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you, Geneva! I sent my NM friend some goodies in exchange, but I definitely got the better end of that deal. He's in the middle of nowhere, so he doesn't have a local club or other reefers to sell to or trade with, so he was excited to just offload a bunch of frags on me. This is my first time ever trying BTA's and so far so good. I give a lot of credit to the fact that they were super healthy when I got them. I hope they continue to do well. Lily just loves having her photo taken. She takes it as some form of attention, so she wants the camera pointed at her instead of the aquarium and she's very good at posing. :)

I also do the baked baking soda using $7 10lb bags from Costco. (A tablespoon per washload also really helps with laundry). I mix it at 2 cups per gallon for dosing. It did take some time to dial in my dosing amount and I honestly am not even certain on the amount I am dosing currently. I generally test once every two weeks just before my water change and make minor adjustments to the dosing period based upon the direction that alk and ca seem to be heading. I haven't had to adjust it for quite a while.

I also do the baked baking soda using $7 10lb bags from Costco. (A tablespoon per washload also really helps with laundry). I mix it at 2 cups per gallon for dosing. It did take some time to dial in my dosing amount and I honestly am not even certain on the amount I am dosing currently. I generally test once every two weeks just before my water change and make minor adjustments to the dosing period based upon the direction that alk and ca seem to be heading. I haven't had to adjust it for quite a while.
Thanks, Mike! That helps a lot. I was definitely wondering on concentration to mix it at to make a big batch. I know it will definitely be trial and error to get the dosing amount right. Its too bad they don't sell the 2 B-Ionic components separately, since I've got my dosing all dialed it with that, but its such a waste since I use very little of the calcium component.

You will find that sodium carbonate (soda ash) dissolves much better than sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)! I fought with getting baking soda to dissolve even with heated water. Drive off CO2 by baking and it dissolves easily. I usually use a 13x9 cake pan and stir it once in the hour of baking at 400F. I mix into water immediately as the carbonate will slowly pull carbon dioxide and water from the air and convert back to bicarbonate. There not too much rush, this will take weeks or months to convert back to bicarbonate. I have been too lazy to figure out what concentration of alk is in the solution I make or how it compares to B-ionic but more importantly I prepare it exactly the same every time.

You will find that sodium carbonate (soda ash) dissolves much better than sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)! I fought with getting baking soda to dissolve even with heated water. Drive off CO2 by baking and it dissolves easily. I usually use a 13x9 cake pan and stir it once in the hour of baking at 400F. I mix into water immediately as the carbonate will slowly pull carbon dioxide and water from the air and convert back to bicarbonate. There not too much rush, this will take weeks or months to convert back to bicarbonate. I have been too lazy to figure out what concentration of alk is in the solution I make or how it compares to B-ionic but more importantly I prepare it exactly the same every time.
That is super helpful, Mike. Thank you! I will definitely have to give this a try once I run out of my current jug of B-Ionic Alkalinity. Hopefully it won't take too long to sort out how much I need to dose each time to get it right. I'm dosing twice a day right now and I have it figured out to keep the alk around 9 dKH right now.

At first I baked my baking soda, but after a few times I stopped doing it because I'd notice almost an instant precipitation when the mixture was added to the tank. So instead I did unbaked but half the strength, I can always add twice as much to make up for it and everything seemed to work out for the better that way.

Also inquired to the "pros" over at RC as to whether or not you can over saturate a solution and simply mix it up like you do with kalk mixers, and seemed to get an affirmative on that.

Its too bad they don't sell the 2 B-Ionic components separately, since I've got my dosing all dialed it with that, but its such a waste since I use very little of the calcium component.

I'm confused. Your tests showed CA low (310 vs. 420 ppm). Perhaps if you used the CA component in equal amounts to the Alk your CA would be higher.

At this point you could dose more CA than Alk till you get the levels up then switch to a more balanced approach.

What am I missing here?

I'm confused. Your tests showed CA low (310 vs. 420 ppm). Perhaps if you used the CA component in equal amounts to the Alk your CA would be higher.

At this point you could dose more CA than Alk till you get the levels up then switch to a more balanced approach.

What am I missing here?
Yeah, I missed how confusing this looks. I was busy and skipped my calcium dosing for over a week, which is why Ca is low. To maintain them both where I want them (when I'm not skipping dosing), I go through a lot more of the BIonic Alk component than the calcium component. So while I do dose calcium, I always have plenty of that component leftover when I need to buy more of the alk component, so I just keep stocking up on tons of BIonic Ca component. I'd rather get something that I can buy and mix each component separately so that I can buy them as I run out of them. Does that make more sense? Sorry for being confusing :)

At first I baked my baking soda, but after a few times I stopped doing it because I'd notice almost an instant precipitation when the mixture was added to the tank. So instead I did unbaked but half the strength, I can always add twice as much to make up for it and everything seemed to work out for the better that way.

Also inquired to the "pros" over at RC as to whether or not you can over saturate a solution and simply mix it up like you do with kalk mixers, and seemed to get an affirmative on that.
Interesting! Looks like there are a lot of different ways to do this. BRS has good mixing instructions for their bulk sodium bicarbonate and their soda ash, so I could just buy a bunch of baking soda and then decide which way I want to mix it according to one of the BRS instructions. If I follow their mixing instructions then I can probably use their calculator to get an idea of starting dose too.

Does that make more sense? Sorry for being confusing :)

Thanks. That explains the results you posted. I guess my confusion runs deeper! o_O

If the two part is designed to be added in equal quantities to match uptake in a reef system, why are you needing so much more Alk?

Using the calculator at http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
A CA level of 420 would be in balance with Alk at 2.95 meq/l (8.26 dKH). Is there an advantage to having Alk higher than the balance point?

Thanks. That explains the results you posted. I guess my confusion runs deeper! o_O

If the two part is designed to be added in equal quantities to match uptake in a reef system, why are you needing so much more Alk?

Using the calculator at http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
A CA level of 420 would be in balance with Alk at 2.95 meq/l (8.26 dKH). Is there an advantage to having Alk higher than the balance point?
Good point John. Honestly, I have no idea why I seem to use more Alk than Ca. For the first month and a half that this tank was set up, the Ca would stay up around 420 from just water changes with no dosing, but alk was dropping down to like 7, so I started dosing alk to get it back up to 9. Now I've got enough LPS corals that are growing that I seem to be using a bit more Ca atm, but I'm still not positive if they're going to match up in dosing amount. Maybe it was just a weird new tank thing and its all going to level out now so that I end up dosing equal amounts. Does that always happen?

Thanks, Mike! That helps a lot. I was definitely wondering on concentration to mix it at to make a big batch. I know it will definitely be trial and error to get the dosing amount right. Its too bad they don't sell the 2 B-Ionic components separately, since I've got my dosing all dialed it with that, but its such a waste since I use very little of the calcium component.

Our of curiosity, is the B-ionic not balanced? I always thought our tanks should use CA and alk equally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ah didn't read far enough. I found in my 140g I had a poem with alk seeming to go faster. I used on of those CA alk balance calculators and slowly dosed them up to a proper ratio, and got my magnesium levels up and from that point on they seemed to be used up in a more balanced manner.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back