Kessil

Sump help (on my upcoming 40B)

It seems like maybe your missing a part.
Maybe all you guys are right but from what I see, there's only one level of clamp to hold the plate (shouldn't I see two such levels of clamps if it came with two plates)

upe9a4e6.jpg

gu7ehy7y.jpg

Also FYI, I have this plate sitting on the third chamber... (Almost closed with a triangle cut in one corner)

huhudymy.jpg

Last edited:
It's a lid type. It sits on top with a flange that is a little smaller than the compartment to hold it in place.

Reactions: Nav
It's easy to make, or have Tap make one for you. Just a flat piece to act as a top, get someone to drill two holes in it that you will use to use Uniseals OR PVC pieces to plumb into. Also get like 4 small pieces and glue to the bottom of the piece so it won't slide off the top of the sump no mater which way you push it and you're done. Scap pieces at Tap should be cheap OR, bring the sump into them and explain what you want ... a top piece with two holes in it that fit your plumbing (show them that pic you just posted) and I'm sure the guy can cut the piece you need.

V

Does this extra top panel even make sense for vinyl tubing? Cos that's what I got...

Earlier @Spoon mentioned that I can simply have the tube go straight in the sock... (If that's true, can anyone tell me how many inches inside the sock should the tube go?

+1. This will be a much cleaner install for sure.

Does this extra top panel even make sense for vinyl tubing? Cos that's what I got...

Hey Nav, what is the ID of your tubing? What you'll do is go and find two bulkhead style fittings that have hose barbs that fit your tubing.

1. Take measurements for lid, or contact TruVu for measurements.

2. Get the lid made with the two appropriate sized holes for your bulkhead fittings.

3. Install fittings into lid.

4. Slip your two drain hoses onto barb fittings.

Bam!

Any way I could fit a ReefOctopus NWB150 6" inside this sump? (Asking cos someone's giving me a good deal)

Else, how can I get a Protein skimmer in this sump (not planning to use my BH100 on this)

Nav,

You need to measure the footprint of the nwb150 by hand. When I measured my NWB110, it was different than the footprint listed on websites. You also need to account for any heaters, probes, and reactors. I'm assuming all, if not some, will be going into that middle compartment.

It is in my opinion you will not have room for a fuge in that sump. You need a compartment where you can control the flow for a fuge.

Are recirculating/external skimmers, where you have the pump in the sump and the skimmer standing outside it?

Is that a good option here? (like DNW150 6")

External skimmers, as the name suggests, sit outside. There are hang-on skimmers also, but they are a different story in themselves.

External skimmers is one of your options if you have room. I believe recirculating doesn't necessarily imply external.

oh and i want to mention, it is just my opinion about the fuge.

i don't often see fuges where there wasn't some additional piping to control the water going to it.

Neuro, I think refugiums can be any place what is not the main tank. His set up looks fine. just a place for pods and outcasts to hang out, maybe some extra rock for filtration.

My current sump is drain/skimmer section, "fuge", then return pump section. Water just passes through the fuge section on the way to the return.

Now whether that is efficient or not is another story.

V

Does it make sense to split the middle chamber for both fuge and skimmer?

I can add some sort of mesh wall so cheato doesn't get in?

I recommend a divider if you plan to use macro algae. Otherwise, you can just keep live rock with a skimmer in the middle compartment.

Back