Cali Kid Corals

Please Help Dinoflagellates Algae :-(

So my tank was up and cycling for about 5 weeks before I started adding corals. Corals have been in the tank for about 3 weeks now. I was looking at my tank this afternoon and noticed what looked like a piece of fine hair with a bubble at the end of it. I took a closer look and right to the left of that there was a huge amount of fine hair algae with bubbles in the string.

As I type this I am getting more and more discouraged. I wanted to get a bigger tank already but not for this type of reason.

I will try and get a pick tomorrow.

-Eric

New tank syndrome. Water changes, carbon and GFO. Don't get discouraged, get more information on how go fix it and figure out your tank ;)

Sent from my LG Optimus G™ using Tapatalk

I have been doing 10-20% water changes weekly. I just read so many horror stories about this type of algae.

The reef cleaners guide pretty much says to start over when you have this algae. IF it start getting worse I will try dosing hydrogen peroxide. 1ml per 10 gallon seems to be the rule of thumb..

PS: how do you like the artisan 2 100G. I was thinking of getting one once I get a little more comfortable with this tank.

I have been doing 10-20% water changes weekly. I just read so many horror stories about this type of algae.

The reef cleaners guide pretty much says to start over when you have this algae. IF it start getting worse I will try dosing hydrogen peroxide. 1ml per 10 gallon seems to be the rule of thumb..

PS: how do you like the artisan 2 100G. I was thinking of getting one once I get a little more comfortable with this tank.

You can do much heavier water changes and even do a day or two of lights out. Peroxide may work, I have had good and bad experiences with it in the past.

Are you running any carbon, GFO, chemipure?

The tank is nice now cause of all the flaws in their craftsmanship that I had to fix. Read through my thread for more details.

Get the phosphates down and manage your pH and alkalinity. Dinoflagelletes and cyano are in every tank. The only question is whether they have access to the nutrients to become a problem. If you do GFO or phosban resist the temptation to overdose. For a first dose I would use a half dose and change it out after a couple of days. If you crash the phosphates too quickly it can really stress the corals.

No GFO or anything. Just sump fuge. No sock either. Should I look into that ASAP?
Probably.

Priority #1 is testing, to see what is the real issue.
PH + Alk + Calcium + Nitrates + Phosphates.
Local BAR people will likely help if needed.

Then fix the problem, SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY!!!
It is already growing. There is no quick fix that will help. Sorry.
But I guarantee there are quick fixes that will destroy your tank.

What is the background of your rocks??
It is very possible the the rocks are loaded with phosphates or organics, and leaching it out like crazy.
Oddly, dry clean rock can be the worst, if it was gathered near farms, where they fertilize.
That is good/bad news.
It means short term, lots of work, but it will go away eventually.

Probably.

Priority #1 is testing, to see what is the real issue.
PH + Alk + Calcium + Nitrates + Phosphates.
Local BAR people will likely help if needed.

Then fix the problem, SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY!!!
It is already growing. There is no quick fix that will help. Sorry.
But I guarantee there are quick fixes that will destroy your tank.

What is the background of your rocks??
It is very possible the the rocks are loaded with phosphates or organics, and leaching it out like crazy.
Oddly, dry clean rock can be the worst, if it was gathered near farms, where they fertilize.
That is good/bad news.
It means short term, lots of work, but it will go away eventually.

Water is as follows:
PH 8.0 +- API
Alk 8.4 Redsea
Cal 350 Redsea
Nitrate 5.0 ppm API
Phosphate. No tester :(

50 lbs dry rock from BRS
7 lb seed live rock from Aqua exotic

Just started 3 day lights out.
output_11.jpg

Two little fishes 150 on order.

Not sure what else to do. Just went to Aqua Exotic and didn't see any Dino in any of their tanks.

My outbreak is not huge maybe 5-10 long hais with 20-30 really short hairs. They all have bubbles int eh middle begging and end of the hairs.

Any other recommendations are highly welcome. Any one local to san mateo that would like to stop by and give me some input it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Are you going to the meeting tomorrow?
I could bring my phosphate tester. You could bring some tank water.

Can you remove the rock the algae is on and kill it?
(pop the corals off, temporarily super-glue to something)

Nitrates are surprisingly high for a new tank with 10-20% water changes.
My bet is the rocks had a LOT of organics in them.
Fix that through water changes. Maybe 30% per week for a couple of weeks.
Remember to count sump for percentages.

Been doing 10-20% wc's weekly. I want to make the meeting so bad but thw wife works which means I am on baby duty. I bonded all of my rock together so I would need to remove all 50 pounds of it. I really appreciate the offer though

Siphon it out w changes. What is your lighting cycle like? I had this problem and decreased my photoperiod down to 7 hrs and it helped a lot. A few days w no lights, manual removal, and shorter photoperiod are the answers IMO. Carbon and gfo can't hurt either.

Siphon it out w changes. What is your lighting cycle like? I had this problem and decreased my photoperiod down to 7 hrs and it helped a lot. A few days w no lights, manual removal, and shorter photoperiod are the answers IMO. Carbon and gfo can't hurt either.

Lighting cycle has been 12 hours plus. Right now on a three day black out. Will modify my lighting once the cardboard comes off. Will do a water change on monday @ 20% and suck out all of the dead dino hopefully. Fingers crossed everything is still alive on monday.

Kessil 350W. Current tank is 24 X 24 X 20. About 50% intensity each knob. Will try cutting back light after blackout period ends which will be tomorrow evening. GFO started today. Did half the normal amount. 1/2 cup of GFO instead of 1 cup.

Thanks everyone for the help hope to have good results tomorrow evening.

Back