Kessil

[Jun 14, 2014] June BAR Meeting (Hayward, CA)

Thanks Felecia for the great event, it was fun experience making our special blends :)

Here are some snaps from todays event...

IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4216.JPG
IMG_4218.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG

+100 to that!

For all that did not attend, it wasn't as gross as the pictures make it seem. It was tons of fun. It looks like "Mad Scientists do Cooking!" :)

Thanks to Felicia for getting this all together.
Thank you aqua-nut for washing all the dishes with that crazy hot water - are your hands back to normal yet?!

For all that did not attend, it wasn't as gross as the pictures make it seem.
I beg to differ ;)

But yeah, I think these types of meetings are great for new members (and old too) actually doing something getting hands on with the hobby, and most importantly actually talking to other members is what makes this club a community. I talked to a bunch of new members, and I'm ashamed to say I don't think I caught most of their names (where were those name tags!), but at least we were talking with each other bouncing ideas back and forth talking about our tanks and what we do differently, etc. IMO that's the type of stuff that makes people want to stay with a club.
Not putting down having speakers or what not, it's just that with a speaker there is a whole lot less personal interaction between members because the focus is all on one person, and that is the only person that should be speaking during most of the meeting.

Thanks for the awesome photos, Navdeep!

It was pretty gross, but in a fun way! :p

Thanks again to all of you who made the cleaning go so quickly! John, thanks for doing so many dishes yesterday!

Mike, I agree with you about the lack of social interaction during speaker-based meetings. I think that speakers are wonderful educational tools, so I don't want to eliminate those entirely, but I thought it would be nice to mix it up and make the club a big more social and more of a community. Getting hands on is also a really fun way to learn :) I'm glad you enjoyed doing something a bit different! I think we may have to make food-making an annual event.

My wife asked if it would be possible to get the recipe for this.

Glad it was enjoyed! . Sure. No problem. I will type it up tomorrow. It's remarkably simple to make.

I always worry I'm not bringing enough to potlucks.... Until I'm there and there is so much stuff I have to take 1/8 tsp portions to fit it all on the plate. .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Alright, here goes...

Indonesian Peanut Chicken
3 to 3 1/2 cut pound cut up broiler chicken pieces (I used boneless skinless thighs)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 med onion chopped (~ 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup chili sauce (NOTE: this is NOT spicy chili sauce you might find beside soy sauce or Sriracha; this is Heinz Chili Sauce, which is more of a tomato paste based sauce. You can find it in the condiment aisle with the mustards, etc. There is plenty of opportunity to make the dish spicier later)
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper

1. Sprinkle chicken with salt/pepper.
2. Heat oil in skilled or 4 quart dutch oven over medium heat (I use dutch oven to contain spatters). Cook chicken in oil about 15 min until browned, turning occasionally. Cover and cook on low heat another 20 min or until juice no longer comes out pink. Remove from skillet/pot with tongs.
3. Drain all but 1 tbsp drippings from skillet and heat over med heat. Cook onions (I also cook red peppers) until tender. Reduce heat. Add peanut butter, chili sauce, cayenne. Gradually stir in water, stirring constantly, until peanut butter is melted.
4. Re-add cooked chicken. Mix sauce into chicken. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 5 min until sauce is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with peanuts and red pepper (as I said before I prefer to cook them).

Alright, here goes...

Indonesian Peanut Chicken
3 to 3 1/2 cut pound cut up broiler chicken pieces (I used boneless skinless thighs)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 med onion chopped (~ 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup chili sauce (NOTE: this is NOT spicy chili sauce you might find beside soy sauce or Sriracha; this is Heinz Chili Sauce, which is more of a tomato paste based sauce. You can find it in the condiment aisle with the mustards, etc. There is plenty of opportunity to make the dish spicier later)
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper

1. Sprinkle chicken with salt/pepper.
2. Heat oil in skilled or 4 quart dutch oven over medium heat (I use dutch oven to contain spatters). Cook chicken in oil about 15 min until browned, turning occasionally. Cover and cook on low heat another 20 min or until juice no longer comes out pink. Remove from skillet/pot with tongs.
3. Drain all but 1 tbsp drippings from skillet and heat over med heat. Cook onions (I also cook red peppers) until tender. Reduce heat. Add peanut butter, chili sauce, cayenne. Gradually stir in water, stirring constantly, until peanut butter is melted.
4. Re-add cooked chicken. Mix sauce into chicken. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 5 min until sauce is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with peanuts and red pepper (as I said before I prefer to cook them).

Oh damn, I just saw this and my mouth started to water. I'll make it to the next round for sure!

Old bump

Need to apology Felicia. I was feeding some of the wonderchow to my fish and I noticed on the plastic bag the name Felicia was written on it. Now unless I was dressing in drag as my alter-ego self I'm pretty sure I grabbed your food baggy and not mine. I simply reached into the freezer and grabbed where I put it (one of the first ones in there)... so I hope at the very least you got my food baggy :)

Old bump

Need to apology Felicia. I was feeding some of the wonderchow to my fish and I noticed on the plastic bag the name Felicia was written on it. Now unless I was dressing in drag as my alter-ego self I'm pretty sure I grabbed your food baggy and not mine. I simply reached into the freezer and grabbed where I put it (one of the first ones in there)... so I hope at the very least you got my food baggy :)
Yeah no worries! My baggie says Mike :) I'm sure they were pretty similar so no worries at all.

Back