Our mission

What are your Kessils set at?

I have a A360WE and was wondering what are the optimal intensity and color for coral growth? My tank is still very new and my corals have only been in there a couple of weeks. I don't have a controller just a timer set for about 7.5 hour light period.

Current stock:
Acans
Torch
Hammer
Birdsnest

Planned future stock:
Zoas
Clam
Flavia
Not sure other than colorful and beautiful.

Thanks for any and all help.

Full intensity? That's crazy.

I'm at 70% blues and 40% white, about that. (A350W)

Current stock:

Red Monti Cap (Reef Raft Nauti Spiral)

Purple Monti Cap

Pink Monti Cap x2

Neon Green Monti Cap

Sunset Monti

Bunch of different Zoa and Paly

Branching Hammer

Ricordea Yuma

Pumpkin Patch Chalice

Purple Chalice

Future stock:

Super Bodacious Blue A1 XXX Crazy Crocea Clam

Last edited:
Full intensity? That's crazy.

I'm at 70% blues and 40% white, about that. (A350W)
Interesting, and good that none of my coral has bleached, it has been on full intensity for over a month now. I probably need to borrow the PAR meter and adjust it right...

Thanks for the info Navdeep & Spoon. I am no where near 100% yet. I am hoping to get the Kessil controller so I can very the intensity and color throughout the day.

Nice. Best bet is to start low, gradually increase and stabilize when you see good growth.

I can't do the controller cos the 350W :(

I have mine controlled by Apex and my peak intensity is 95% for 4 hours per day. My tank is 24 inches deep.

I've heard Kessils get funky PAR readings which might make it tough to compare to other light fixtures (t5, MJ, etc)

That's the first I've heard of Kessil PAR readings described as "funky"..post a link to that article if possible.

I haven't measured PAR in my tank but I would sure like to.

Thanks all for the responses.

I have mine controlled by Apex and my peak intensity is 95% for 4 hours per day. My tank is 24 inches deep.
Devon my tank is only 19" deep (about 18" of water) I definitely want to go the controller route just need to save some funds so I can get one.

When I asked Matt at Aqua Exotic he runs the Kessils on his SPS frag tank for 100% for 1 hour but that is a shallow tank.

If it's any consolation, I run my RapidLED light at 25% throughout most of the day with my dusk/dawn offsetting, three-channel, independent cycles. You'll definitely get some good insight with a PAR meter but if you don't have that, it's always good to get some measurements of water so long as you measure around the same time slot every time, to get an idea of how your lighting is affecting your water chemistry. For example, too much light (in addition to nitrates/phosphates) can cause excessive algae to grow and thrive.

I have 7 kessils over my 300. 5 narrows and 2 wides. I run all of them at 100% for 8 hours a day. 11" off the water and the tank is 26" deep. Many corals are less than 10" under water and doing well.

I have 2 kessil 350w sitting 8 inches above my 40 gallon breeder. Theyre on a timer for 8 hours of 40% blue And 15% white.

Most corals are on the bottom. I have some dragon eye zoas and a duncan halfway up the tank. Theyre doing fine. Hammer was halfway up the tank for 2 weeks then got extremely stressed and was put in shade and has now reocvered. My goal is to have mostly lps with a few sps. Hopefully this can work out because i like the kessils. But i have a feeling theyre too strong for lps in my tank. I think 40 gallon breeders are 16" deep.

Reactions: Nav
I've heard Kessils get funky PAR readings which might make it tough to compare to other light fixtures (t5, MJ, etc)
Its led in general, a par meter has a hard time getting proper readings with leds and it also cant pick up UV

as far as intensity, i think i only have 6 lights at 100% out of 30

Jess, Enderturtle, & Kris thanks so much for the responses. It seems intensity varies greatly and I will have to figure out what is ideal for my corals.

Another question though. What is everyone's blue white mix? I notice that my Acans seems to like it more blue and my birdsnest seems to like the white as do my torch and hammer. Man I need a controller to ramp up/down a sunrise/sunset so I can give the corals more of a spectrum. Maybe I can get lucky at the Apex tour and win one! Ahh to dream.

i have gotten great color and growht matching the 2 spectrums. If its something that needs TLC i blast it blue only!!

with the 360 we see good color at about 50-60% turned on

Last edited:
i have gotten great color and growth matching the 2 spectrums. If its something that needs TLC i blast it blue only!!

with the 360 we see good color at about 50-60% turned on

Good to know around 50% is what I like visually.

I was reading the Kessil site and it seems like they are stating that it doesn't matter where you have your spectrum the light is providing the essential needs for corals. Am I reading this correct?

From the Kessil A360 page:
"Tunable Spectrum
Select the spectral point you prefer with full confidence your corals are getting what they need for optimal growth and color."

"UV
No matter which spectral point is chosen with the tunable spectrum, proprietary blend of precision UV light encourages coral color."

Yes, sorta, but yes. Kessil logic is a cool way to blend spectrums and still give essential wavelengths no matter the out you choice. I can show you better than i can explain

Back