got ethical husbandry?

[Aug 9, 2014] BAR Regional Frag Swap (Hayward, CA)

We are pleased to announce the return of the BAR regional frag swap! The swap is open to everyone, not just BAR members.

This event is intended to encourage the propagation, sharing, and 'backing up' of corals throughout the reefing community. The frag swap is a great way to promote the spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants. The swap is open to everyone. Meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. Share and enjoy the diversity of corals being successfully grown by your fellow reefers. Learn more about how to care for the corals you pick and the corals you currently have.

Never been to a swap before or don't have frags to swap yet?

No problem! We have a welcoming committee that will be on site to help, and a newbie table where you can select a few organisms to populate your tank and ease your way into the hobby. Come see how the frag swap works and be ready for the next swap!

How do I participate?
  • Pay for Registration
    • $10 - BAR Members
      $15 - Member of an eligible reef club (CRC, CVR, FRAG, NVR, MARS, WCR, RARE, ROC) - Proof of club membership must be presented
      $20 - Non-members
      $25 - Late registration (beginning Wednesday August 6th at 12:00 am until Friday August 8 at 11:59 pm)
      $30 - On-site door registration
  • Show up for Registration 11:00-12:30

• Bring three or more different strains of coral

Late registration is over. If you'd like to still participate, please register on-site!

We would also like to announce that we're holding a silent auction at the swap!
We can look forward to some awesome equipment, dry goods, and livestock donated by our amazingly generous sponsors! Stop by the silent auction table for a chance to take these home - all proceeds go towards BAR to hold more club events and hosting this forum.
Air, Water & Ice:
RO/DI filter replacement kit
Aqua Exotic:
JBJ Ocean Pulse Duo controllable wavemaker
JBJ True Temp heater controller
Aquatic Collection:
1 - Aquavitro Salinity Saltmix 225g
6 - Aussie Acan Lord/Ultra Chalice Frags
1 - Juv Chevron Tang
10 - tank raised Blackfoot Trochus Snails
Diablo Corals:
Premium coral frags
jestersix Reefscaping:
MagRock (for an overflow box)
MagFrag Triple
Seven Deadly FragRacks
ChaliceFlats
MiniDomes
PicoDomes
Kritter Tanks:
Custom fabricated 1' x 2' x 2' acrylic corner tank
Neptune Aquatics:
$50 gift certificate
Revive dip (to be rebottled and distributed for free to all participants)
RapidLED:
Aurora Puck Kit: full spectrum 7-color LED fixture with 4 channels of control
Reef Angel:
1x Reef Angel Rope Leak Detector
1x Jebao DC3000 return pump
Rod's Food:
Multipack of various Rod's Food frozen blends

The list will be updated as new details emerge. Stay tuned!

How the swap works
    • Corals entered into the swap will be placed on tables within a family of corals.
      • Categories: Zoas, Soft corals, LPS, & SPS (sub-divided into Sticks, Plates, Others)

• You will receive a name tag and draw a pick group letter

• Pick group letters are called in this order: A, B, C, D, ..., Z, Z, ..., D, C, B, A, A, ...
    • During the first round of picking you will have a few minutes to select one coral

• As the swap progresses through the pick groups, successive rounds will be shorter and you will be able to select multiple corals
Important Information
    • The swap will be held on Saturday August 9th in the Cafeteria at Chabot College. The cafeteria is located in building 2300. Please see the Chabot College building map below.
    • Chabot College charges $2 (cash) for parking. Please support our venue and purchase a daily parking permit from one of the machines in the parking lots.
    • Swap registration is 11:00-12:30, late arrivals are automatically placed into the final pick group
    • The swap begins at 1:00pm.
  • We ask that you package your corals in deli containers or other sealable containers. Corals in ziplock bags are not allowed. Typically a good place to find deli containers is your local Smart and Final. Not only do the containers allow you to see the corals better, they reduce the risk of leaks and spills that can potentially irritate our hosts at Chabot. If you show up with substandard packing you will be required to purchase deli containers and repackage and label your corals. There are some handy frag packing tips in this thread, please feel free to add any suggestions or ask questions in advance of the swap.

• All containers shall be labeled with the coral type, your name/internet handle, and growing conditions (height in tank, flow, lighting, etc.). This is to allow the recipient of your frag to reproduce your growing conditions as much as possible. If the containers are not labeled you will be required to label them on the spot.
  • Any corals determined to be in poor condition or freshly fragged will not qualify you for the swap, it is against our mission to reward poor propagation techniques.
  • Ineligible corals, invertebrates, macroalgaes, equipment, supplies, etc., will be placed at the newbie table and made available to all swap attendees.
Important Note

Please treat all corals that you pick at the swap as if they are infected with the worst pests known to man. Dip your corals with the coral dip provided for free at the swap or your own preferred coral dip. Not only does dipping help to prevent pests from making their way into your tank, it could potentially prevent the spread of nuisance algae as well as keeping the instances of necrosis to a minimum.

Ineligible Corals

These organisms do not qualify for entrance into the swap.
ineligible_corals_v2_zpsc1dea7dc.jpg

Chabot College Map

map2014web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the inconvenience guys, it appears that PayPal's code doesn't work too well via copy-paste. I had to hand-stitch the form together which is why it's different (yet functional) now.

Hi Felicia - this frag swap is in August - will there be a July BAR tour event or are we skipping it?

I do not have 3 different species of coral that are "frag worthy" or large enough to frag so won't participate in the actual swap but will attend and help with the clean-up.

I would like to bring not-eligible for swap corals (GSP, xenia, toadstool, etc.) if there is interest. I know there was a table for that at the last swap but I think after reading the comments and personal observation from that event that it may need to be somewhat monitored - same person/persons grabbed all the free items as soon as they were set down! I don't think that is fair but not sure how to avoid.... although it's great that everything gets taken so there was no waste.

Anyone know of a good "how-to fragging" site and what is easily fragged and what is not possible, tools needed, how soon before swap, etc.? Thanks.

Hi Felicia - this frag swap is in August - will there be a July BAR tour event or are we skipping it?

I do not have 3 different species of coral that are "frag worthy" or large enough to frag so won't participate in the actual swap but will attend and help with the clean-up.

I would like to bring not-eligible for swap corals (GSP, xenia, toadstool, etc.) if there is interest. I know there was a table for that at the last swap but I think after reading the comments and personal observation from that event that it may need to be somewhat monitored - same person/persons grabbed all the free items as soon as they were set down! I don't think that is fair but not sure how to avoid.... although it's great that everything gets taken so there was no waste.

Anyone know of a good "how-to fragging" site and what is easily fragged and what is not possible, tools needed, how soon before swap, etc.? Thanks.
I'm working on setting up a behind the scenes tour of the Steinhart Aquarium for this month. I'm just waiting to hear back on the date and then I'll post that up. I just wanted to go ahead and get the swap announcement up since its a big event.

Great point! We can have a volunteer monitor the ineligible corals table so that that doesn't happen. Maybe say 2 per person or something unless there are leftovers at the end. Thanks for being so awesome with suggestions and help, Geneva!!!

Geneva, what corals do you have that you were considering fragging? We might be able to help you with the specifics on those types :)

Oh, and if you want to participate in the swap, but don't have frags of your own. Feel free to stop by Aquatic Collection beforehand and pick up a couple inexpensive, eligible frags to enter into the swap.

@denzil, since there now is no place to add your name when paying. Are you able to track who payed?
Devon, when you click it takes you to where you login for your Paypal, so it will show the payment coming from whatever name is on your paypal account. Not sure if there's any way to add a note with your forum username.

Are there going to be any raffles? Maybe donations for our sponsors, Coral donations from members, BAR teeshirt's ?

Are there going to be any raffles? Maybe donations for our sponsors, Coral donations from members, BAR teeshirt's ?
I'm working on getting a silent auction together. Unfortunately, we can't do raffles anymore because of some CA state laws, but we can do silent auctions. I'm working on getting some awesome donations from out sponsors for the silent auction. Also, we'll have the T-shirts and glue for sale at this!

Geneva
what do you need fragged? I got a bandsaw
Thanks! I don't need a bandsaw yet! I should have been more clear but I was just looking for general information on fragging and there was that instruction that newly fragged items are not desired so what is the proper timeframe (weeks, days)?!

Thanks! I don't need a bandsaw yet! I should have been more clear but I was just looking for general information on fragging and there was that instruction that newly fragged items are not desired so what is the proper timeframe (weeks, days)?!
I usually consider 2 weeks a good time for healing. More is better of course and you can get away with less depending on the coral. Fragging each type is so different that I don't know of a resource on all of them. You probably need to search or ask based on coral type.

Back