Neptune Aquatics

Recommendation for a really red coral?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to add some red to my tank. It's a 10g tank and it is sorely lacking the color red.

I am looking for some coral suggestions.

I was thinking Fire and Ice zoas. I have not seen them in person, so I don't know if the beautiful pictures of these zoas are an accurate depiction.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Something red and stunning.

Thanks,

Sam

Goniopora.

Red-Goniopora.jpg

Don't do fire and ice zoas, they're really not that red.

What kind of corals are you looking at? If you're looking at SPS you could go with the ORA Red Planet, or a red millepora, for LPS a lot of acan lords are quite red, there are more red zoas not sure of the names though.

Don't do fire and ice zoas, they're really not that red.

What kind of corals are you looking at? If you're looking at SPS you could go with the ORA Red Planet, or a red millepora, for LPS a lot of acan lords are quite red, there are more red zoas not sure of the names though.

Not sure on which corals, just looking for suggestions.

I'm leaning towards zoas since I have experience with them.

I just do water changes and don't dose, so if I added an SPS would I need to start dosing?

Get some nice bright red mushrooms! They're easy, cheap, and can be really bright red :)
Oh that's a good idea too! Can't believe I didn't think of that, I had one red mushroom go off the reservation and hopefully I can get it to attach before the frag swap (or more to the point... hopefully before it attaches to a place where more expensive corals grow much more slowly).

Red Blastomussa would be another option, a bit slower growing but often that's a good thing.

I just do water changes and don't dose, so if I added an SPS would I need to start dosing?
From a mathematically standpoint, yes you would, water changes will NEVER fully replenish any levels you have (or remove anything you don't want) unless you do a full 100% change. However from a biological perspective, you got me, I'm not sure if the rate of absorption of elements by animals is related to saturation levels of those elements in the water column, i.e. if you have 400 ppm of calcium how does the growth rate (usage) differ than if you had 300ppm.

However if you have coraline growing and want it to keep growing then you'll want to keep up with some dosing regime although it doesn't have to be that regular.

I was at Neptune Aquatics today buying some RO water and saw a pink goniopora like Spoon had suggested. I had never seen one in person and was very impressed.

They have one in there small nano display tank in the back near there bagging station. And were selling frags of this.

I was tempted to buy but decided to hold off since it is not as red as I want.

We're either going to have to congratulate you on amazing restraint or revoke your membership in Reefers Anonymous. :D

Aren't goniopora temperamental?

It was very hard to restrain myself, but having a 10g tank I'm limited on space.

I don't know anything about gonioporas, so I was reluctant to purchase.

I believe they are temperamental and thus probably not the best coral for a newbie like myself.

Back