Kessil

[Aug 9, 2014] BAR Regional Frag Swap (Hayward, CA)

I liked DiabloCoral's auction style where all participants were given a letter and Jess announced the product with a starting bid letting each participant raise hands up for $1 increments...

Could you or someone please explain how silent auction works? And a few questions:
  1. will a "minimum bid" be set for all items?
  2. is it cash only or ??
  3. what time is the cut-off period and what time will the winners be announced?
  4. do you have to be there to win?
  5. is there going to be a tank set up for live corals?
  6. do we need a volunteer(s) to handle this?
Thanks!
1) There is usually a minimum starting bid, but they're normally very low. There will also be a minimum increment for subsequent bids. That will vary by item, but I remember seeing $5 for some.
2) Cash or paypal. The winning person can use my laptop to send Paypal to BAR at the end of the auction.
3) I have to announce an exact cut-off time, but I'm thinking probably around 3 pm since that's when the swap should end. Then we can announce the winners and get payment right after the swap.
4) Yes, you have to be present to pay us and then to retrieve your item. Unless someone has a friend that could pay and take the item for them.
5) The live corals are all coming from Diablo Corals and this point and Jess is selling frags at the swap, so I'm thinking he'll keep the live corals in his frag tank for viewing.
6) No need for a volunteer during the auction since its all just writing bids on bid sheets. We'll just need the set-up people to help with setting it up and then we need one person to oversee payment and item distribution at the end.

I liked DiabloCoral's auction style where all participants were given a letter and Jess announced the product with a starting bid letting each participant raise hands up for $1 increments...
That won't work for this because it goes on during the swap and no one would be paying attention. This way people can bid in between their turns in the swap.

Reactions: Nav
Bummer :( would totally be willing to pay ridiculous amounts for hot food to support the club.
Sorry! Honestly this slipped my mind with all the other planning. I'll look into whether we can get some food lined up last minute. I'll let you all know if I find a way to get food there!

Haha, it's all good Felicia :) I know you're working hard on this and don't envy you the job. Totally wish I could help but working until 11(maybe slightly later ;/) that morning. If you manage to get food there, post so I don't have to stop on my way to the swap, if not fast food or tjs it is :)

1. Late registration fees
Registration fees go up in the week leading up to the swap to prevent last-minute fragging. Cutting and gluing frags the night before the swap does a disservice to BAR's mission to promote responsible husbandry. In an ideal situation everyone would have healed frags on hand at all times (for those spontaneous flashmob frag swaps), but that is rarely the case. Swap participants are highly encouraged to frag for the swap weeks in advance so that the frags have the best chance to thrive in their new environments.

2. How many frags to bring
The minimum number of corals to bring is 3 to lower the barrier to entry and make the event accessible for newer reefkeepers. However, if every participant brings the bare minimum, it makes for a very short swap. Club members used to hold contests to see who can bring the most number of frags - the winner received bragging rights and the knowledge their corals are successfully banked in multiple tanks.

If everyone contributes more than the required 3 pieces, it makes the swap bigger and more fun for all participants. A little generosity goes a long way!

3. Lunch
Although food is not planned for this event, it's definitely something we want for future events! I can't be the only person who has forgotten to bring lunch to a BAR meeting and started thinking about trying some dried krill. If organizing lunch is something you can help with, please post here, stop by the volunteer meeting after the swap, or reach out to Felicia.

This is going to be a great swap - thanks to all who are participating, and the volunteers for contributing their time and energy to make it happen!

I can stop by Safeway's on the way to the swap and pick up and donate 10 deli sandwiches. They are like $5.50 a piece and maybe we can charge $8 and I will donate to the club. Good or Bad idea??!

Last edited:
I think traditionally food was offered and the person selling it was making the profit, it was not an income source for the club but more something to have available for hungry people who may have traveled from far away and don't know the area (and maybe don't want to eat fast food :D)

I can't speak for others, but if I'm spending $8 on a sandwich it better be one helluva sandwich, if I had the choice of safeway sandwich and club making money I'd rather give the club $2.50 and find my own food source.

Unfortunately I think the hot dog cart is no longer in business or something, which is why we've switched to selling food if we want to have lunch. Its too late to organize that, but if a bunch of people want pizza and let me know, we could always have some pizzas delivered and split the cost. That way its not the club selling it for profit. We could just order for whoever is interested and wants to chip in a few bucks. Maybe one of the volunteers could ask around and place an order tomorrow during the registration period before the swap starts.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Jess from Diablo Corals will be bringing his frag set-up to sell corals during the swap! So if you don't find what you want in the swap, you can check out what Jess has to offer!

More updates on the items for the silent auction! Here's what Aquatic Collection has donated:
1 - Aquavitro Salinity Saltmix 225g
6 - Aussie Acan Lord/Ultra Chalice Frags
1 - Juv Chevron Tang
10 - tank raised Blackfoot Trochus Snails

Back