Kessil

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Ouch man, that said having a large tank a cleaner wrasse is a lot more of a feasible option since it will have lots of food sources available, and you very well might have ich forever in the tank just flares up every now and then. Someone with a much smaller tank I would not recommend a cleaner wrasse at all.

Cleaner shrimp might help with relief of dead/dying flesh of fish though.

I have a pair of cleaners in 55 gal and one in 180 gal. They all eat pellets.

Hi Jim - sorry to hear about your ick - how frustrating to hear about an outbreak even after you QT'd the new fish! Everyone looks good now - hope that continues. I did not see your CB Butterfly in the video - was it just hiding? (yes, I pretend it's mine so had to ask!)

Ouch man, that said having a large tank a cleaner wrasse is a lot more of a feasible option since it will have lots of food sources available, and you very well might have ich forever in the tank just flares up every now and then. Someone with a much smaller tank I would not recommend a cleaner wrasse at all.

Cleaner shrimp might help with relief of dead/dying flesh of fish though.

I definitely would recommend a small cleaner wrasse that eats prepared foods for a large tank with a lot fish like mine. My hippo tang would typically get spots, but with the cleaner wrasse it was looking great. I agree a cleaner shrimp would be a better option for a smaller tank.

Last edited:
Feed the fish well
It ain't the end of the world!

I do subscribe to feeding little bit amounts often as you do E. I also believe with the medication that's readily available and the knowledge how to treat ich goes a long way. I'm glad I have The fish disease and feeding book from Lance Ichinosutbo and Bob Goemes. Chloroquine phosphate is definitely my go to treatment for ich.

Hi Jim - sorry to hear about your ick - how frustrating to hear about an outbreak even after you QT'd the new fish! Everyone looks good now - hope that continues. I did not see your CB Butterfly in the video - was it just hiding? (yes, I pretend it's mine so had to ask!)

Hi Geneva.

Fish get sick dispite our best care. It's up to us to know how to care and properly treat them when they do. I might have freaked out if I was new to the hobby, but I've dealt with ich before. ;)

By the way....your copperband was hiding in the video and is doing fine. :)

Tank looks great Jim. Inspirational! It is nice to see an example of ich treatment.
Question,
I have 5 anthias in qt at the moment. No spots, but I saw the male scratch against the side twice 2 days ago.
Any suggestions? Maybe I should feed some of this treatment food just in case? Advice would be appreciated.
John

Tank looks great Jim. Inspirational! It is nice to see an example of ich treatment.
Question,
I have 5 anthias in qt at the moment. No spots, but I saw the male scratch against the side twice 2 days ago.
Any suggestions? Maybe I should feed some of this treatment food just in case? Advice would be appreciated.
John

I would try Dr. G's anti parasitic and anti bacteria bottles of caviar. The bimaculatus anthias I have seem to eat that more readily than the frozen food.

Sweet. Is the shrimp going to be a traveling shrimp when it finishes off all your asterina?

Seems a shame to sacrifice CC stars for it. The club should buy it and put it on the 'equipment' list!

Sweet. Is the shrimp going to be a traveling shrimp when it finishes off all your asterina?

Seems a shame to sacrifice CC stars for it. The club should buy it and put it on the 'equipment' list!
+1 on Nice shrimp!
Note that the whole CC star does not have to be sacrificed. You can keep a couple in the fuge,
and occasionally cut off an arm. It will regrow. I am too squeamish for that though.
Neat idea to be on the equipment list. But given acclimation/diseases/etc, probably not practical.

I would try Dr. G's anti parasitic and anti bacteria bottles of caviar. The bimaculatus anthias I have seem to eat that more readily than the frozen food.
I ordered the stuff, still a couple days out I believe.
The Male has gotten a large round bruise looking thing, and I just noticed the others all have the beginnings of the same thing, in similar places. See video on my thread. Fortunately they are still in QT. Need help identifying the nature of the affliction.

I ordered the stuff, still a couple days out I believe.
The Male has gotten a large round bruise looking thing, and I just noticed the others all have the beginnings of the same thing, in similar places. See video on my thread. Fortunately they are still in QT. Need help identifying the nature of the affliction.

Hmmm....my original bimaculatus anthias developed lessions on their side. I only ended up with one survivor out of six. The three I added look good so far though. Which meds did you order?

i thought with most biological cleaner for ich, like wrasse and shrimp they can't get too deep under the ailing fish to get to the ich that's burrowed under its scales?

Hmmm....my original bimaculatus anthias developed lessions on their side. I only ended up with one survivor out of six. The three I added look good so far though. Which meds did you order?
I ordered both anti parasitic and anti fungus caviar.
These were in the LFS for some time (over a month) and looked great. I am beginning to wonder if the QT is not too confining or conditions not as good as they would be in a larger system. Interestingly, they all look and act happy.
Referencing photos in Lance Ichinitsubo's book, these appear to be Uronema marinum which is parasitic in nature. Hard to know for sure.

Back