High Tide Aquatics

Can't find the right size siphon tube...

I agree with just making a square one out of acrylic.

Bending with sand works too.

By "Play Sand" he means, sand they sell for kids' sandboxes because it's clean. Home Depot, 50# bag for like $5 bucks or so.

Also a general tip on overflows.. it might seem like you want a large diameter one to prevent clogging (snails, algae) and to handle flow, but actually a thinner one creates a faster flow that can carry air bubbles down and out the drain instead of staying at the top of the overflow, ready to break your siphon and overflow your tank. So TWO smaller ones might be good, so you have backup.

Set up a float switch to shut off your return pump if necessary.

When I started in the hobby with a nano reef, I flooded my apartment about 5 times.

Wow lots of helpful feedback, thanks guys :)

Someone pointed out bubbles getting trapped in the pipe when it's the wrong size... yeah I encountered that with my first pump (oceanrunner 2500) which wasn't cutting it, I think after head loss etc. it was only cycling about 200-300 gph and the 1" pipe was accumulating a bubble over time which of course I had to occasionally take out. I swapped the pump for a siche silent 3.0 (I think that's the name) which has 900 gph on tap and that solved the bubble problem, I think now I'm closer to 400 gph and no bubbles in the pipe.

I have since thought more seriously about drilling the tank and I believe in the coming months I may be able to pull it off, I have a 20g acrylic tank that I can shift everything over to, but I'm going to wait till I can run it entirely parallel to the existing tank, only then I'll start to slowly transferring corals (basically I need second set of plumbing, second set of lights etc.) that way when the main tank is taken offline, I can take my sweet time drilling & building my overflow (likely to be coast to coast or hybrid herbie/C2C).

Mine seems more like a 1" inside diameter

I think that's the same thing, I measured outside diameter at 1/4" I'm pretty sure the pipe walls are 1/8" thick which gives you 1" I.D.

Do you know if you'll be attending the mini-swap?

Probably not on the mini swap but I do find myself in the east bay often. Maybe I could leave it at aquatic collection or on your porch or something. Hit me up

Mike I work from home most of the time so I could likely meet with you somewhere whenever you're in the area so it's more convenient to you that way :)

Back