Reef nutrition

From Boston to the South Bay

Ha ha. Yeah figured that. Either way I can't go back to bagged lunches anymore. :)

hah, small world. Always good to meet more local reef keepers, Googlers, and other folks in tech.

Tyler - I'm working on G+ over in Shorebird.

Denzil/Tyler - I'd be glad to grab lunch some time, either on campus or wherever. My friend runs a microbrewery in San Jose called Clandestine, tap room is open on Fri/Sat - it's pretty great. If not, hopefully get to say hello at some BAR events like the frag swap coming up.

Find a day and I'll swing by Google. However, the last time I was there, parking was a pain in the ass to find. Maybe save me a spot? Haha.

hah, small world. Always good to meet more local reef keepers, Googlers, and other folks in tech.

Tyler - I'm working on G+ over in Shorebird.

Denzil/Tyler - I'd be glad to grab lunch some time, either on campus or wherever. My friend runs a microbrewery in San Jose called Clandestine, tap room is open on Fri/Sat - it's pretty great. If not, hopefully get to say hello at some BAR events like the frag swap coming up.

Ah cool so you get to go to Kitchen Sync often. I like that cafe.

The microbrewery sounds like a great spot for informal bar meetups. :).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm psyched that I finished the plumbing this weekend on the tank.

I picked up a 30" Trigger Systems Tideline sump last weekend and setup a basic herbie drain. Plumbed the return and the drains over the weekend and tuned the flow on the siphon drain. Everything leak tested and happy (after many fixes and lessons learned).

Do folks put build threads in a particular forum here? I should put a new thread together and post some pictures.

I spent the last week shaking down the plumbing and tuning the herbie drain with fresh water. All the leaks are fixed and the plumbing is looking good, despite a few setbacks (hose clamp failure on the return line today).

I spent yesterday washing sand and today draining the freshwater from testing. Finally starting to fill up with saltwater. I probably won't be done producing enough RODI and mixed saltwater until tomorrow night, but we're getting there.

I'm running an MP10 on each side panel of the tank, but I suspect they won't provide enough flow for SPS corals in a tank this large. They're doing fine for cycling the tank and should hold me until I buy a bigger Jebao wavemaker or suck it up and get an MP40. The Jebao DC-9000 has worked well as the return, only running it at about 60% (~ 1200gph for 10x tank turnover).

I have an array of three Kessil A350s on the tank now - one narrow and two wides on the edges. Coverage looks great, but I worry a bit about penetration with a 24" tank. Time will tell and hopefully I'll get a better range of PAR from the bottom of the substrate to the higher positions in the tank.

There were definitely some loud water noises before I got the herbie tuned in the overflow with the right water level. After that, the sump intake chamber was the noisiest until I raised the water level in the sump to mitigate the trickling noises through the filter socks.

I have a big order of rock and an Apex controller arriving for next weekend. Looking forward to aquascaping and automation.

Back