Jestersix

New Blue Life Resinator - First Impressions

As you can see, there is no dust and rubbing it around on my hand didn't leave any residue like normal GFO. This is the media as it was received. I didn't do any rinsing.

That looks like a resin and not a metal oxide to me. That would make sense on why they picked that type of reactor as well. That's what you would run your D/I resin in for smaller R/O systems.

I had to order a replacement chloramine block from BRS yesterday and ordered one of those reactors as well. I just need to pick up some of their resin now. That would sure beat swapping out that GFO every few weeks. I should have picked up a couple of those reactors... If it works OK I'll get a couple more next time I get in on a group buy.

~Charlie

That looks like a resin and not a metal oxide to me. That would make sense on why they picked that type of reactor as well. That's what you would run your D/I resin in for smaller R/O systems.

I had to order a replacement chloramine block from BRS yesterday and ordered one of those reactors as well. I just need to pick up some of their resin now. That would sure beat swapping out that GFO every few weeks. I should have picked up a couple of those reactors... If it works OK I'll get a couple more next time I get in on a group buy.

~Charlie
Yes, they definitely look like small polymer resin beads to me. Like you said, I believe that's why they work with this different style of reactor than the BRS one. I hate dealing with GFO, so this is so much better. Let me know how you like yours. I'm going to run mine for another month or so and then if I like it, I'm going to get another one for my other tank.

~Charlie
Yep!
Once I searched for "resin" an article on blue life showed up, with resin in the title.
http://reefbuilders.com/2013/03/06/bluelife-marine-phos-fx/
No idea what it is made of though. I would be surprised if it is the same resin as in normal DI, since
I thought that was useless in salt water.

Yep!
Once I searched for "resin" an article on blue life showed up, with resin in the title.
http://reefbuilders.com/2013/03/06/bluelife-marine-phos-fx/
No idea what it is made of though. I would be surprised if it is the same resin as in normal DI, since
I thought that was useless in salt water.
Yeah, its all proprietary, so besides "resin" I have no idea what it is. I can't complain though since it seems to be working, whatever it is.

Odd though that there they say you can recharge it "up to 6 times". I'm not a chemist, nor do I ever claim to actually know chemistry :D, but I would think the act of recharging would be something that you could continuously do because you're replacing ions, or what not in some fashion.

I think the clearish/whitish polymer resins are the "organic scavenger media" and the small darker bits are the phosphate removal resin. It looks very much like the other phosphate removal resins that have hit the market in the last few months like "biophos 80" and "PO4x4". I know that PO4x4 can be regenerated as well.

I do have some biophos 80 at home, so I might test that with a magnet too. I think all of these are basically GFO bound into a resin making it more durable and more effective. There may not be enough GFO to respond to a magnet though.

Last edited:
I have the Hanna Phosphate checker if you want to borrow it. I mostly don't use it though because watching colouration changes on my Agaricia is so much easier. ;)
Thanks, Mike! But I honestly prefer to judge phosphates by how the tank is looking since I think even the Hanna checkers can be inaccurate.

I also purchased the Resinator while attending MACNA but did not install it until 6 days ago. After 5 days of running the Resinator with the Carb FX in one reactor and Phos FX in the other my Po4 went from 0.03 to 0.05. I have to say, I'm getting a little nervous about this product (Phos FX). How are you current users of this product doing? Updates.

my Po4 went from 0.03 to 0.05.

You might be approaching the accuracy limit of the test. If it's a Hana HI736, the stated accuracy is +/- 5 ppb. Try repeating the test three times in succession with same water sample and see if you get the same numbers.

It would be very strange for a phosphate removing media to ADD phosphate. :eek:

Thanks aqua-nut. I did take into account the +/- factor of this test kit and as you said "It would be very strange for phosphate removing media to ADD phosphate" which is why I was kind of expecting the phosphate level to decrease a little, especially since the media was fresh (new). I will be testing for Po4 again today and hopefully, I will see a slight decline from the last test result. I would still like to hear from the members who have been using this media and reactor and learn from their experience so far.

It would be very strange for a phosphate removing media to ADD phosphate. :eek:

Yes. But if you replace an existing phosphate reduction system with one that does not work as well,
then phosphates could certainly go up.
Not sure if that is the case though.

Well I called Blue Life, and asked them what media was included in the pre-packed Resinator reactors. It turns out, one reactor was filled with the Carb FX and the other was filled with Clear FX Pro, not Phos FX. Since the Clear FX Pro is an all in one type media, it would explain somewhat, why Po4 was not lowing in my tank. I know there are a number of reasons Po4 would increase in my tank, I did however expect and based on previous experience, that Po4 would initially lower. I have to say though, it would have been nice to hear from those individuals who started this thread to provide updates as to how the Blue Life "Resinator" and the pre-packed media is doing in their tanks.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was an open forum where an exchange of ideas, information and helpful advise took place, whether one is a "paying member" or not. I'm a contributing member on a number forums relating to this hobby and it has been my experience, when someone commits to review a new (or old) product, a conclusion usually accompanies the review at some point. That (conclusion and or update) is all I was seeking. I will not get into a war of words with you Mike and whether you respond or not is not important. I will not waste anymore of your or my own time on this very small and unfriendly forum. Over and out.

Well I called Blue Life, and asked them what media was included in the pre-packed Resinator reactors. It turns out, one reactor was filled with the Carb FX and the other was filled with Clear FX Pro, not Phos FX. Since the Clear FX Pro is an all in one type media, it would explain somewhat, why Po4 was not lowing in my tank. I know there are a number of reasons Po4 would increase in my tank, I did however expect and based on previous experience, that Po4 would initially lower. I have to say though, it would have been nice to hear from those individuals who started this thread to provide updates as to how the Blue Life "Resinator" and the pre-packed media is doing in their tanks.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was an open forum where an exchange of ideas, information and helpful advise took place...

How big is your tank? How much ClearFX are you using?

Yes it seems to be an all in one media but it's still supposed to lower phosphate.

I really recommend, the next time you test, to run the test three times from the same water sample to make sure it's not just testing noise.

John, we are a small group, this board doesn't run for free and we have our rules. Parts of this forum are restricted. Some parts are not - like here. You can and have been posting here. Seems like free exchange of ideas to me.

If the OP does not read this, well you just have to wait. Your option is to become a paying member and be able to PM the OP. Membership here, like just about every where else in the world, has it's privileges.

Back