got ethical husbandry?

Triton Testing

It seems like a lot of money to test water especially since the water is constantly changing with water changes, coral growth, etc. And what could you do even if you saw some anomaly. People sometimes make this hobby for more complicated than it has to be. I am just sticking with the same salt mix, and watching the corals.

It seems like a lot of money to test water especially since the water is constantly changing with water changes, coral growth, etc. And what could you do even if you saw some anomaly. People sometimes make this hobby for more complicated than it has to be. I am just sticking with the same salt mix, and watching the corals.

They suggestion is to buy 3 kits so you can track changes. I do believe they want to keep selling you stuff, but I assume their testing methods isn't done by some chump.

I don't think people are necessarily making it more complicated but maybe some folks just want a better source of truth. Sometimes knowing these details could be beneficial to some but your mileage may vary.

The price doesn't seem that bad if, for some reason, you want to test for lots of usually not tested elements. It might be useful to track down a mystery crash.

Interesting.
Good for peace of mind.
Useful for evaluating your salt mix and dosing strategy.
Useful if you are a bit lower than average on doing water changes.
Might be fun at one test. For three .... I could buy some pretty nice coral.

Here are my results:

Tank keeps melting acros after an exposed magnet debacle and I wanted to see if this would show any tell tale signs.

Not much of anything, really.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416503901.473316.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416503916.613068.jpg

Lots of results there!

Is that a high Tin level? Hard to read.
Perhaps due to that magnet issue you mention?
Or is that normal for aquariums?

Here are my results:

Not much of anything, really.

How about that tin level? It seems significant enough to earn a red tag! I don't think a few large water changes and maybe some ChemiPure would hurt.

Hard to read small fuzzy text!!

Anything else hurting beside acros? Do you have snails and shrimp?

Last edited:
Sorry about the poor quality photos guys. I took a screenshot with my iPhone because the triton website was making it difficult.

Tin is elevated but there is not a lot of discussion regarding tin except that it can be toxic in high concentrations. However, there has been a suspicion in the hobby that PVC leaches tin.

All I could find on elevated tin levels was a slowing in the growth of algae... So maybe a slowing in zoozanthealle in the acros causing issues?

I've seen people posts results with 5x the concentration and beautiful tanks...I'm really at a loss why I can't keep acros. Maybe my phosphate is too high.

For reference, I am using Red Sea blue bucket salt and it appears that it is providing all the necessary elements.

-Mark

How about that tin level? It seems significant enough to earn a red tag! I don't think a few large water changes and maybe some ChemiPure would hurt.

Hard to read small fuzzy text!!

Anything else hurting beside acros? Do you have snails and shrimp?

I do have peppermint shrimp and snails(Blackfoot trochus). I have already banned my green emerald crabs to the sump. I am 100% on green emerald absolutely devouring birds nest SPS and similar structured coral. I bought them for bubble algae and they don't even know it's there...They have so far been my most devastating pest. 10x worse than red bugs.

-Mark

The Triton test is very interesting for a number of reasons. However, I can see why it may not be worth the cost to some.

For those with persistent tank issues (and all 'normal' parametrs and other causes have been checked and eliminated) the test can indicate a *possible* problem with one of the many elements in our tank water

For those without tank issues, the results can still be enlightening. For example, Ca and Mg are typically testing quite a bit higher than what people are getting with their test kits. Sr (Tin) is showing as an elevated element in many test results, but mostly here in the USA (not so much in Europe). As the number of testing results grows, so does the ability to find commonalities and trends (both positive and negative).

My recent test is on my 6-1/2 year old 12g Nano tank that is doing quite well (50/50% RC and IO, with weekly 10% WCs). Ca, Mg, SR and Br are high, but at this point the source of high Sr and Br has not been positively determined (only Sr is of any concern since Tin will restrict microbial functions). The only action I plan to take is to reduce Ca and Mg over the next few months and phase in a salt that is closer to NSW levels.

12gTritonTest2_111314_zps13a2a4c2.jpg

h
12gTritonTest2_111314_zps8b76ff3b.jpg

Back