Kessil

Anh's 125g Peninsula Tank

Hello all, thought i'd share with you my new tank's progress. I just recently moved to my new home in Castro Valley and my wife and i decided to finally upgrade from our Red Sea Max 250.

Equipment:

• Tank is a used Lee Mar 125g that i ended up scrapping off the black paint on the back and turned it into a peninsula. Dimensions are 48x30x20. The stand had water damage so my uncles made me a custom stand which i love.
  • 36"Ruby Elite Trigger Sump
  • 24" Ati Hybrid Powermodule 1x75w led 8x24w t5 (thinking about upgrading to a 36")
  • Swc 230 skimmer
  • Maxspect gyre 150w
  • Mp40w w/ backup battery
  • Eheim compact return pump
  • 1" sea swirl
  • Bubble Magus Dosing Pumps
  • Eheim Jager 300w heater
  • Aqueon Pro 250w heater
Livestock:
  • Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
  • Royal Gramma Basselet
  • Lieutenant Tang (might consider selling so i can put peaceful fishes in first before tangs)
  • RBTA anemone
Corals:
  • Couple of SPS and LPS (sorry don't remember the name of them, need to start logging it when i get them)
Enough with the texts.... Here are some pictures!

And a little video of how i got here.

Thanks for reading!

Not too shabby there Anh, get yourself a herbivore in that tank and that rock will clean right up and let the purple coraline grow. Looks like a really fun tank too, glass, really wide, should have some good years in store for you!

Looks great. Nice job on your tank. I wish you the best with the new tank and home.

Thanks alot. I feel so blessed with both.

Dude your sump set up looks so CLEAN. I like it.:cool:

Thanks. I tried to keep it as neat as i can get at the time but there's so many wires and i keep adding to it....

Not too shabby there Anh, get yourself a herbivore in that tank and that rock will clean right up and let the purple coraline grow. Looks like a really fun tank too, glass, really wide, should have some good years in store for you!

Thanks. Yea tough decision is finding something that wont nip at my corals.

Beautiful tank and love that stand! (how nice to have such awesome uncles!) Glad to hear you are in Castro Valley too! Welcome!!

Thanks. Yea tough decision is finding something that wont nip at my corals.
considering the texture/crevice I would aim for something in the zebrasoma family (tang), or foxface, they both have smaller mouths that can pick into nooks and crannies. For me for any large tank, a zebrasoma tang and a ctenochaetus tang are my two go to families for getting fish that do things, both are coral friendly too.

The real problem is if you have a smaller tank, I really don't know of any effective algae eaters that fit in small tanks.

Nice setup. Love peninsula tanks! :)

Thanks Nav, sorry to hear about the troubles you are going through with your tank. Just be persistent in whatever you do and try not to change too much at once. Take it one step at a time. I've been through it....

Beautiful tank and love that stand! (how nice to have such awesome uncles!) Glad to hear you are in Castro Valley too! Welcome!!

Thanks Geneva! You should stop by sometime and check out the fish tank since you're so close! Do you have one as well? if so may i get a link to your journal if you have one?

considering the texture/crevice I would aim for something in the zebrasoma family (tang), or foxface, they both have smaller mouths that can pick into nooks and crannies. For me for any large tank, a zebrasoma tang and a ctenochaetus tang are my two go to families for getting fish that do things, both are coral friendly too.

The real problem is if you have a smaller tank, I really don't know of any effective algae eaters that fit in small tanks.

Thanks Mike. I really like the desjardini tang and the whitetail bristletooth tang but would like to wait until i have other peaceful fishes in there first since tangs can be bullies.

Last edited:
Really nice set up. Love the stand and the rock work looks cool. Congrats, this will be fun to watch as it fills in. :) Welcome to BAR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike. I really like the desjardini tang and the whitetail bristletooth tang but would like to wait until i have other peaceful fishes in there first since tangs can be bullies.
Be careful with those Desjardini tangs they get to be pretty big and probably a bit too big for your tank even.

I recently finished a couple of projects for the fish tank.

First of which is modding my BRS dual media reactor. I changed the outputs and inputs so i was able to make it each have its own flow to maximize the efficiency of the media.

And then i ended up finishing up my saltwater mixing and distributing container to help with my saltwater changes. Hopefully soon i can incorporate an automatic water change system utilizing peristaltic pumps.

Reactions: Nav
I think i might have Bryopsis =( Never dealt with this before dont know how i got. Couldve been one of the few newly acquire frags i got since i never had it in my old tanks. Any tips on how to beat it since its still a fairly new tank? Want to get a jump start on it.

Thanks for the video Jon. I've been doing alot of research on algae in general the past couple of years throughout my reefkeeping experience and lately dealt with green hair algae from recently starting up the tank. To get rid of that i used a cuc consisting of a few typical snails but the ones that did the most damage to GHA is the 3 mexican turbo snails and a sea hare. I guess my Bryopsis isn't really out of control yet and is really kept at bay with the CUC, I've seen the sea hare and mexican turbo snail munch on it, so i think i'll hold off on dosing anything. I'm just a little leery with adding those unknown metals into the tank that Kent marine has.

Back