Cali Kid Corals

BAR on Facebook

Nav

I know we have a Page & a Group on FB. Both not as active as our forum here...

Recently I mentioned in another post that its important to have a good external image for our group, which involves being active on social media...

I prefer Groups over Pages cos it lets everyone here to keep that active & going.

Things we could do to improve our FB group:

1) Create an album "Member FTS" and all of us post our tank shots there with links back to our tank builds here in the forum.

2) When there's any interesting article we come across (like Drs.F&S acquisition, designer clowns as feeder fish, etc.) lets post into the group

3) Choose a nicer cover photo (maybe some good FTS) and keep rotating it every few weeks

4) All scheduled club events can also go on there so non members can RSVP (or atleast know we do cool stuff)

5) One thing I've recently noticed that R2R does is post some hot topics from their forum to FB, with cool images... that way we direct them to our from (more traffic & visibility)

Again, if there was a BOD role for Social Marketing, I'd be up for it! ;) lol

Thoughts?

There was talk of that role at one point. Nobody really wanted to spend much time on it and it was before social media was quite so big as it is now. I agree its important and would like to see somebody step up and improve that aspect of the club. Sounds like a great idea if you have the time and desire to do it.

I'm probably in the minority here on BAR, but I don't do any of the big name social media sites at all. Personal choice, I don't look down on anyone who does, nor do I expect to be giving admiration for my lack of it either :)

That said, isn't this website essentially social media? I mean we can throw messages up, pictures, set up party invitations, polls, you can find the site by googling (although if anything getting more hits with common searches might be worth a shot, at least over ReefCentral!), you can get notifications for messages that get posted, basically except for playing games this website/forum behaves exactly like Facebook doesn't it? And best of all, we are in control of this board, so any changes that occur with how it functions is because "we" decided how it changes

Mike, a good comparison is "intranet" vs "internet". Totally agreed that our forum is the best place to do everything, there's no intension to move activity from here to Facebook.

Its just about keeping that external channel a bit more active so its partial marketing & networking for non-members.

Take a look at the group "Bay Area Coral Lovers", its pretty active... also ReefCentral or R2R on FB. I'm sure there are exceptions but social networking is such a daily thing for the silicon valley folks ;) hehe

Facebook is blowing up with local reef "clubs".. from a buy-sell-trade to norcal reef, to a bunch of others.

it's really repetitive at the moment, but if we can channel what we want out of facebook, it can totally help with promoting our club without stealing away views and participation.

Facebook is blowing up with local reef "clubs".. from a buy-sell-trade to norcal reef, to a bunch of others.

it's really repetitive at the moment, but if we can channel what we want out of facebook, it can totally help with promoting our club without stealing away views and participation.

I guess I am out of touch.
What does "Facebook is blowing up with local reef "clubs"" mean?

To me it means your wall is filled with reef related posts n pics from number of groups. I have the same problem, overload ;)

To me it means your wall is filled with reef related posts n pics from number of groups. I have the same problem, overload ;)

That's exactly what's happening in my feed. I had to remove myself from an east-coast based facebook page because it was getting crazy with updates

I agree that we can do a better job with Facebook, Twitter and email updates. However, there is a fairly fine line between a healthy, active feed and so many posts that people start unsubscribing.

I know there is a plugin that will email inactive people with the top discussions for the week. I suspect there is something that would post the most popular thread to facebook or twitter as well. There may be some other plugins that will help integrate the board with social media sites. The newly appointed Social Marketing Webmaster should look into this!

I know there is a plugin that will email inactive people with the top discussions for the week. I suspect there is something that would post the most popular thread to facebook or twitter as well. There may be some other plugins that will help integrate the board with social media sites. The newly appointed Social Marketing Webmaster should look into this!

R2R does this, with a related picture to the thread. For anyone subscribing or 'liking' R2R, they will often post a pic & thread link on the discussion. The thread usually isn't flushed out, but it was a great way to get people to start talking and pulling in clicks/viewers.

It's all about selective channeling or targeted marketing. We definitely want to increase the activity on the forum and re-directing or informing folks by leveraging the large user base of Facebook and Twitter can be beneficial. We definitely want to provide quality content, we're not in the business of spamming people's news feeds. This is a fairly impactful role as it relies on social media and strategy skills.

@Nav If you're serious about helping out with this and club photography, please let me or anyone else on the BOD know. We'd be happy to speak with you in detail about strategy, planning, and execution.

This role is also open to anyone else that's interested; the more, the merrier. :)

@Nav If you're serious about helping out with this and club photography, please let me or anyone else on the BOD know. We'd be happy to speak with you in detail about strategy, planning, and execution.
Based on all the mixed feedback here, I feel BOD should work together in putting together a social media strategy & responsibilities so I (and others here) can see how we can contribute...

Valid point Nav, but if you have ideas please feel free to speak up. I for one have no Facebook or online presence other than this forum. I really don't know where to begin or what the strategy would be. Maybe you could come to the next BOD meeting. We are currently scheduling it so stay tuned for a date.

Maybe Im still old school but I think the clubs first place should be its website. All your info is here and on FB there will be some info but not all.

I am all for using FB to drive traffic here.
Maybe share the best images of the week.
And not a bad idea to use it for meeting announcements.
But really prefer to keep the forums as the main point.

Based on all the mixed feedback here, I feel BOD should work together in putting together a social media strategy & responsibilities so I (and others here) can see how we can contribute...
Yeah, there's no right or wrong answer here and it's nothing that has to be entirely decided by the BOD. Everyone within our club has an equal opinion and we always are interested in what the club members want or feel. :)

When you're ready, @Nav, we can speak about how we'll want to market in 2015, if you're still interested. Otherwise, it may be a venture that I'll be heading up by myself because I think I may be the one with the most experience out of our BOD group, IIRC.

Back