High Tide Aquatics

DRY ROCK & LIVE ROCK Discussion

I read on the internet you could just "tinkle in your tank" to get a nice ammonia boost. All natural.
I am glad you are confirming that is true. :p

That's how Richard would start tanks at Tropiquarium. One one of the US godfathers of coral propagation. Urea is very useful... bacteria and algae LOVE it.

I'm planning to change my rock out, had Marco rocks previously. Will go dry route again, so I can custom drill holes in it, and cement it to create rock work how I want it to look like.

How do you guys feel about this Aragonite Special grade Dry sand? Any of you use it?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422501259.238756.jpg

I like as little contact w the bottom as possible personally. You can make spacers w PVC pipe or other stuff to get it off the bottom and be stable, or just stack it good in a way where it isn't flat against the sand for too much of the area. That blocks flow a lot and you run the risk of erring some super nasty stuff accumulating in the resulting dead spots. I often use three smallish chunks of rocks to space up each bottom base rock and then build on top of that if that makes any sense

What about those egg crates? I cut cut a square size. That way it wont scratch the glass either.
I did that. Never again.
That makes it worse. Lots of deep little square holes to trap crud.
And the perfectly square corners are visibly fake, even when covered in coraline. Ugly.

Suggest using bits of rubble as legs, to keep rock off bottom.
Either attached with concrete or epoxy.
Also, you can make little fake sand bases by mixing sand with epoxy or concrete.
Look at posts $41 and #42.
http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/ryghs-250-gallon-rev-2.17503/page-3

Back