High Tide Aquatics

DBTC: ShuTin's Red Planet

neuro

Webmaster
The original, gigantic colony was lost due to prolonged actinics. It was my pride and joy and I really loved it. I have a few small frags that I was able to scrounge, but this is where I need help to bring this thing back to it's original size: almost 12" long and about 6" tall.

I want to give at least 3 frags so we don't lose this precious resource. I'm sorry, but these are small frags and it was difficult to save what I could.

General DBTC rules apply! Plus:- Frag swaps are OK, but if only if the original colony you have is thriving.
- I have the right to add more rules in the event I totally forgot that something should be included.
- We shall call this DBTC ShuTin Red Planet. That is the official name. I want to give credence to ShuTin and our DBTC program by creating a legacy.

You MUST have a tank log here. Recipients will be chosen if they have an established tank.
Not everyone can grow this guy for some reason, but I find it insanely easy.

Light:
250 watt, 14k MH DE, actinics RB and 2 B.
Par can be ~ 200 for deep reds, > 200 for light pink with light greens.
Colony in picture was sitting at least 30" (2.5 ft) away from light.

Located in San Carlos.

Attachments

• redplanet.JPG
    redplanet.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 20150128_184846.jpg
    20150128_184846.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 518
The ones I have are thriving so far

Siokoy

A few people have received frags from me, and out of everyone, 3 mention that it was not easy to grow or have died quickly.

I have not had problems with growth, so I wanted to make sure the people knew what they were getting into.

I don't have a tank journal up yet, but our tank has been established for 3 months now and super stable. Our initial SPS frags are all encrusting and everything is growing well, but we have a lot of real estate for new coral.

I've been lucky to receive other DBTC frags over the last couple of weeks, so feel free to give other folks a place in line ahead of me.

That being said, we've got a stable home for SPS and LPS. I'll be at the Feb meetup or could pickup otherwise.

hey sorry i didn't see these posts eaerlier.

@Coral reefer - glad it's coming around. it may take a while but it's really beautiful when it gets going.

@Reef Keeper & @wpeterson - hey when it grows out, i'll come back to this thread and post again. If you guys are around and your tank logs are goin', i'll pass this along!

@iCon - thanks, glad it's showing up for you!

Alfred (@neuro ) - just an update. I kept the 2 smaller frags and they both are greening up at the base with tiny red polyps! Keeping fingers crossed that they will make it! Thanks again!

Have been searching for this thread. I have had Geneva’s colony for 3 years now. I have given out some frags for sure. I’m not entirely sure this is the one she had or not because I believe she bought a frag from somewhere at one point as well. But I do have a large colony of red planet that came from Geneva with frags to give out in sf.

Back