Jestersix

DRY ROCK & LIVE ROCK Discussion

l will chalk the egg crates. Since im going full ZEO I need to have a shallow sand bed, around 4cm deep. Sand grain 2-5mm. Its advised to use Dry Sand and 100% Liverock but im trying to work around it . Im getting 100lbs or Marco Largo this Monday so I Cant wait to start scaping. I should have ordered the mortar instead I got the 2 stage Epoxy and acrylic Rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

l will chalk the egg crates. Since im going full ZEO I need to have a shallow sand bed, around 4cm deep. Sand grain 2-5mm. Its advised to use Dry Sand and 100% Liverock but im trying to work around it . Im getting 100lbs or Marco Largo this Monday so I Cant wait to start scaping. I should have ordered the mortar instead I got the 2 stage Epoxy and acrylic Rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I much prefer Epoxy to Concrete.
Real West System or other high quality epoxy though, not that putty clay crud.
I really advise against using that putty. It does not seep into the cracks in the rocks.

Jestersix has done some amazing things with concrete though.
He is an artist.

Many pros and cons.

Hmm. The Indo-Pacific live rock I picked up from the airport was my favorite thing about setting up my first tank almost 15 years ago! I watched more and more emerge every week, waited a long time to add anything and was always annoyed that every new coral blocked another part of the rock. To me, seeding dry rock is not nearly as cool. I have been looking into getting real live rock for a new tank I am setting up in a school but getting it is complicated now and I am disappointed. I guess I'm really geeky about live rock.

How do you feel about drilling thru LiveRock and creating a bonsai look? with LR? i know i need to do it pretty quick and put it back in Salt Water but any suggestions?

IMO using Emaco for the build is the easiest process. Quick cure and reef ready at cure (20 minutes average set time). You can easily create a flat, stable bottom for your stacks. Emaco lets you do some amazing stuff...

Best place for small orders is Marc at Marco Rocks. You may ask around the club and see if anyone has some to spare, I know that there are a few in the DIY crowd that have invested in full bags and may have some lingering in their garage.. I've given up shipping kits as Marc is cheaper on the shipped product.

Let me know if you have questions on using the stuff - always glad to assist. I have a short how-to video on my Facebook page J6 jestersix...

Okay thanks. Im actually waiting on shipment from Marco. I got about 50 lbs of Largo to mess with. I got a couple referrals to Tampa Bay and Premium Aquatics. Been lookin at some Pukani but the Largo looks best IMO

Shipment came from Marco. Much more than I expected lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423082766.360639.jpg

Thanks man. Much luv. I can show some progress pics during the scape progress to possibly share some ideas.
Great!
One last piece of advice : Make sure to consider how easy it is to get the rock-build in and out, especially
long term when it has coral encrusted on it.
Single large structures can be a huge pain!

I did an HCl wash on my Marco rocks and they haven't leached any detectable phosphate. However, I have read of people just rinsing them in tap water and having no issues. The rock does have a little dirt in the hard to clean pores, so cleaning that out is a must.

Back