Reef nutrition

Felicia's 40B Predator Reef

I picked up a tuxedo urchin because the partial crash a few weeks ago caused a serious algae outbreak in my tank. I want the rocks to be cleaned up before the transfer, so I figured an urchin could wipe out the algae problem in a couple weeks. Once all the algae is gone, I'll take the urchin back to the store so it doesn't starve. Such a cool critter! I'm enjoying watching it and wish I could keep it long term. Here is a quick photo and video of it on the tank glass.

Reactions: Nav
I finished siliconing the baffles into my sump tonight. Now it just needs to dry overnight and then tomorrow I can do a full water test on it.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

I picked up a tuxedo urchin because the partial crash a few weeks ago caused a serious algae outbreak in my tank. I want the rocks to be cleaned up before the transfer, so I figured an urchin could wipe out the algae problem in a couple weeks. Once all the algae is gone, I'll take the urchin back to the store so it doesn't starve. Such a cool critter! I'm enjoying watching it and wish I could keep it long term. Here is a quick photo and video of it on the tank glass.

We've been thinking about getting a tuxedo urchin for our 90 gallon tank. Now that it's been up for 4 months or so we have enough algae on rock surfaces to keep one, but we're in no rush to get one.

If you decide you can't keep your urchin, please let me know and I'd be glad to make a home for him/her in our tank.

We had a very active Tuxedo Urchin in our 30 gallon mixed nanon in Boston who was one of our favorite creatures.

You can see him hyper-active over time in this time-lapse video from the month of January last year:

Everything looks great so far! How'd you manage to silicone the baffles that are really close to each other? It looks like it was a pain to do, hehe.
Thanks! Yeah those close baffles are a nightmare. You have to add the silicone into the tank first and use a lot so that when you press the baffle in, it oozes out on both sides (since I can't fit the tip of the silicone tube in between to apply any). Then I used a chopstick to smooth it out the best I could and remove any excess.

We've been thinking about getting a tuxedo urchin for our 90 gallon tank. Now that it's been up for 4 months or so we have enough algae on rock surfaces to keep one, but we're in no rush to get one.

If you decide you can't keep your urchin, please let me know and I'd be glad to make a home for him/her in our tank.

We had a very active Tuxedo Urchin in our 30 gallon mixed nanon in Boston who was one of our favorite creatures.

You can see him hyper-active over time in this time-lapse video from the month of January last year:

I'll keep that in mind once mine exhausts the algae supply in my tank. They're definitely cool little critters. Lovely video!

btw how well has the urchin worked?
He's definitely making a dent. He cleaned off the middle BTA rock and then made his way to the glass and has been on the glass for the last few days. I think I'm going to grab him this evening and move him to the rocks. He's definitely very active and munching away on algae.

Sump looks awesome. Production values on that video are way high for a reef forum!

I have a similar Jebao DC return pump. How are you liking it? I've really enjoyed ours so far.

Thanks for sharing the video.....looks great!!!!!

btw....groovy remix for the video...;)
Thank you! I'm thrilled with how it came out. Will definitely be such an upgrade over my current tiny/cramped sump.

DNA Lounge in SOMA has a mash-ups night every Saturday night. They hand out CDs of mashups made by the DJ's that are always really fun. Anyways, the song I used is from one of those CD's.

Sump looks awesome. Production values on that video are way high for a reef forum!

I have a similar Jebao DC return pump. How are you liking it? I've really enjoyed ours so far.
Thanks! I just used iMovie to edit the video really quick. I definitely don't have any actual video editing skills.

That was actually the first time I'd tested out the pump. I just got it a few days ago and I'm waiting to have the new tank set-up before I can really decide if I like it. So far though, it seems super nice and the features on it are awesome. Love the controller so you can fine tune the output and the feed button is nice. It shuts off for 10 minutes and then automatically turns back on.

Back