High Tide Aquatics

Felicia's 40B Predator Reef

everything is looking great! glad the skimmer fits too =D

have you thought about covering your freshwater top off?
what is the volume of the top off section?
Thanks! It actually worked out perfectly because I was about to silicone the baffles into the sump and then I saw your post. I held off until I had the skimmer and it turns out I had to make the skimmer section an inch wider than I had planned. It fits beautifully now :) I turned it on today and man that thing is awesome! No microbubbles whatsoever, very easy to dial in, and its already skimming stuff out of the very clean water. I think its pulling the gunk from the sandstorm.

I actually just got a lid cut at TAP plastics today for the ATO reservoir. I got it in black acrylic so it will minimize light getting in from the fuge light as well. The top off section is about 4 gallons.

I transferred over all of the inhabitants into the new tank this morning. I moved all the rock and corals directly and then drip acclimated the fish and inverts. I added 4 ounces of Bio Spira when I did the transfer to try to help prevent a mini cycle.

I need to work on the scape, but here's everything in the tank. I'm going to go pick out some additional live rock tomorrow.

The fish are doing just fine after the transfer.

New screen lid.

Got a black acrylic lid cut for the overflow box.

Full view of the sump.

Refugium with rubble rock and chaeto.

Added a filter pad after the refugium.

Also got a black acrylic lid cut for the ATO reservoir.

Nice meeting and chatting with you the other weekend at the meeting. The rock with the anemones is awesome - I didn't know they would hang out in group like that. Great pics!

I think te rocks look pretty cool, and would try not to add too much more. I'm sure you want more coral mounting space tho...
Thanks! I love my scape, but it definitely needs more coral space. Plus with the extra 5" of depth, it looked a bit empty when you looked from the sides. I actually picked up new rock at Aquatic Collection yesterday. See below.

Nice meeting and chatting with you the other weekend at the meeting. The rock with the anemones is awesome - I didn't know they would hang out in group like that. Great pics!
It was nice to meet you too! Always fun to meet more people in the hobby. I love that anemone rock too! They do just fine in a group like that and its definitely pretty with them all smushed together. The clowns love it!

Beautiful as always, Felicia! Perhaps they are hidden, but did your rock flower nem's make it?
Thank you, Geneva! Unfortunately, I lost a ton of stuff in the crash :( I think I have one tiny baby rock flower left on the back of one of the rocks, but that's it. Oh well, that's this hobby sometimes. Means a fresh start!

Lot's of news from yesterday! Sorry for not posting an update, it was just a hectic day. Here we go though:

1) I got my school of 5 dispar anthias yesterday! (The water is yellow because of a medication.)

New fish is always so stressful though! So far they're doing well and venturing out of hiding, but they haven't eaten yet. Hopefully today they'll eat. Also, the exquisite wrasse got a bit agressive with them. He's never shown any signs of aggression before, so that was weird. Luckily he seems to be calming down and starting to accept them. He mostly ignores them at this point, but once in a while will flare up his top fin and charge at them before swimming away. They were scared at first, but now they just move out of his way a bit and don't go hide. I'm hopeful they'll sort it out and be able to coexist peacefully.

The only other issue is that one of the anthias has a case of pop eye. Since they were all in a bag together moving around, I didn't notice the issue until after they'd settled into the tank and were venturing out. That fish is swimming fine and seems otherwise healthy, so I'm hopeful it will heal. Anyone have any experience with pop eye? Any suggestions for what I should do?

Here they are in my tank. 2 of them were over on the other side of the tank, but they've since grouped back up.

2) I picked out about 10 new pounds of live rock for the tank, so that puts me at 38 lbs total. I got Real Reef rock from Aquatic Collection. I dug through the whole bin to pick out just the right pieces and I think I succeeded! I got the additions to the left and right side just how I want them, but I still need to figure out how to arrange the middle. That's the only rock I'm questioning. I just kind of plopped it in for now because I need to move the clams and lose corals that are all over the sand out of the way before I can figure out where it looks best. Right now I just feel like its wrecking the open sandbed/negative space look, so we'll see. Anyways, here are photos:

Very colorful!

3) I also picked up 7 trochus snails and 3 turbo snails as my CUC.

4) My new Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 reactor came yesterday, so I need to install that tonight. I also got the new gate valve yesterday and I got that all installed with no problems and no leaks. This one works perfectly, so the plumbing is 100% done.

5) My skimmer is awesome! Its already pulling some nice skim mate. Very wet, but this is pretty good considering the tank is brand new and super clean.

And a fun photo of the urchin
smile.png

Looks great - Really nice purpley rock! Are you still on a 40B or did you upgrade somewhere? 5 anthias is quite a bioload!

Back