Kessil

Fuge or reactor?

So I was considering a fuge but then during research I came across several post stating reactors are more beneficial for smaller tanks. I have a JBJ RL45 AIO. So what are the thoughts here? I definitely like the way a reactor gets the crystal clear water. But then the fuge does require continually replacing material. Most likely at some point I will have but that will be further in the future and I would like to get what would have most impact first.

Ryan

If you can only have one of the two, I'd get a dual carbon/gfo reactor. But, why not both?
Thanks for the knowledge wpeterson your tank grows amazing corals. Like I stated at some point it will be both but right now I can try and finagle one as a Father's Day gift so I want which ever is gonna give me the most punch.

Thanks

Ryan

Thanks for the kind words. I have two of these Two Little Fishies 150 reactors: http://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-Fishies-ATLPBR150-PhosBan

I used to run one on each of our nano tanks with both carbon/GFO in them, I think they're a great bang for the buck.

When we got our newer system, I added one as a carbon reactor. Then when we had more nutrients, I chained in a second one inline with GFO. I'm currently running those and very happy with them. Only issues running them for two years was dried/cracked o-rings, which I was able to replace from Amazon.

I hear they are easier to clean/maintain than the BRS reactors, which are the main competitors at a similar price point. You'll also likely find some folks who prefer BRS to TLF reactors. There are many fancier and nicer reactors out there, but they cost 2-3x as much (Vertex or Reef Octopus).

There was a pretty good BulkReefSupply video on media reactors recently:

Wpeterson thanks for more great info. Not sure how my wife would feel about an external reactor. Couple years back I had a 100 gal Frontosa tank that one of the canisters dumped 40 gals on the floor. Needless to say that is why I have an AIO. But one of those might actually fit in a chamber I think I have about 4.5". I will look into it.

Jonmos75 thanks for the offer I will look into it.

Ryan

If i was doing more intense acro I would run my gfo and carbon reactor. My tank is mostly LPS with a couple easy acros.

But now i am only using a ball of chaeto. And i dont think its doing much.

I only have 3 small fish in my 40 gallon breeder so not much bio load. I do feed oyster feast 1 to 2 times a week.

I think the water changes is whats keeping my tank nice. 25% every two weeks.

Yeah I do 5-7 gal water changes every 7-10 days and only have 2 fish at the moment which I feed only 4-5 days a week and feed oyster feast or reef chili twice a week. Not too bad but I have bubble algae and some diatoms still. I have an extra chamber so I might as well use it to help tighten things up.

Ryan

I was also questioning would such a small fuge really do much? Would it mainly just be a pod safe house or would a small ball of chaeto truly have an effect on the entire system.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

Ryan

Jonmos75 can the dual reactors be separated? What price were you looking for?

Thanks

Ryan
Not really, maybe with some modification, yet you could always run media in one chamber and let the water flow threw the other chamber.

For Pricing I was thinking

I was thinking like 50.00 without the pump or 80.00 with the pump, I know I have some Carbon media that I can give you to start up with and maybe some GFO but I will have to check on the GFO when I get home. Like I said has been used less then 6months and I have new sponges to give you too...I can post a picture later tonight when I get home.

Here is BRS calculator to see how much you need for you system.

Thanks I'm still on the fence what to buy. Seems BRS reactors are really good but defeat the all in one thing. But the "nano" reactors seam to not hold the media or get clogged or the fitting suck. Damn what to do. Thanks for your help and the offer I will keep it in mind.

Ryan

I think you should run a reactor. In AIO, space is vital and can be used for other things. A fuge simply takes up too much room. That is unless you prefer the natural way of nutrient export.

Plus one good thing about having a reactor is that you can easily increase media to handle different amounts of bioload

I'm going to run reactors in mine. Gonna start with carbon n gfo but I think eventually go to biopellets. My skimmer is way oversized so should be fine.

Picked up a pair of phosban 150 reactors off RC cheap just to start.

Vhuang168
Your tank is looking good especially for one that will become a frag tank.

I checked out those 150 and some review say they don't work well with carbon. But then again there those that say they work great. I am considering the BRS mini seem to be a good design as well as price.

Ryan

I have the TLF/Phosban 150 reactors and they work just fine with carbon, GFO, or a mix of both.

I also ran one of them on a 20 gallon all-in-one tank. They hang off the back and I was able to stick the pump for the reactor in the return chamber. Never had a leak or a spill.

Back