Cali Kid Corals

130g custom build

There's no need to over engineer. A single 3/4" can easily handle over 1500GPH flow rate, which is more than enough to give this tank a min of 7X turn-over rate. Keeping the hole smaller also increase the structural integrity of area inside the over flow foot print.

+1, this is also answer my question, because my new 150 gal tank order has 2ea of 1.5" for drain and 2ea of 1/2" for return. I plan to have 3/4" start from pump then reduce it to two each of 1/2" when it go to overflow before water go back to the DT.

+1, this is also answer my question, because my new 150 gal tank order has 2ea of 1.5" for drain and 2ea of 1/2" for return. I plan to have 3/4" start from pump then reduce it to two each of 1/2" when it go to overflow before water go back to the DT.

If you really really want to increase flow volume starting at 3/4", using thin wall SCH 40 PVC is even better. There really is no need to use standard thick wall PVC for minor application like aquarium where there is very little pressure involve.

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any suggestions where i can go online and look up hardware to suspend the canopy over my tank? both hardware to bolt to ceiling beams and hardware to bolt to the hood.

thanks!

Wait so you want to hang your canopy from the ceiling? Kinda out of the ordinary

Why dont you just build a canopy and sit it over your tank?

Maybe you could start a thread on reefcentrals' DIY forum and/or on here.

Wait so you want to hang your canopy from the ceiling? Kinda out of the ordinary

Why dont you just build a canopy and sit it over your tank?

Maybe you could start a thread on reefcentrals' DIY forum and/or on here.
Most importantly we like the aesthetics of a floating canopy. Check out the tank of the month spotlight. The 300g by kmoorsf.

Secondly. It's so much easier to work in a display with lots of overhead room to get over the tank. With a suspended canopy we can just raise it a foot or two and voilà.

Is this entirely for preventing light from splashing out or are you also trying to use it to store stuff?

If its to prevent light splashing maybe go with a light material? Like a cloth or plastic? Reenforce the rim with like a wire. Would be easier to hang.

Secondly. It's so much easier to work in a display with lots of overhead room to get over the tank. With a suspended canopy we can just raise it a foot or two and voilà.

So not only do you want a suspended canopy, you want a MOVEABLE suspended canopy.

Why not just hang the lights? Would give you lots of headroom and would be a lot less weight hanging over the tank

So not only do you want a suspended canopy, you want a MOVEABLE suspended canopy.

Why not just hang the lights? Would give you lots of headroom and would be a lot less weight hanging over the tank
When you're spending thousands of dollars on a system it has to look good. We want it to match the stand as well as have the opportunity to add more/different lights as time progresses.

I looked through kmoorsf's thread and will use a similar pulley system.

When you're spending thousands of dollars on a system it has to look good. We want it to match the stand as well as have the opportunity to add more/different lights as time progresses.

I looked through kmoorsf's thread and will use a similar pulley system.

Absolutely it has to look good!

I like the look of the lights hanging by themselves. Especially the Kessils or the AI Hydras. Can be sleek and modern looking if the hanging fixture is designed/made well.

Personally I dislike the look of a canopy though a suspended canopy would look very cool indeed!

Good luck with the build!

it's arriving next week sometime, and then we'll go slowly and diligently to get it running...so no timelines. Probably a month before anything living goes in it. It depends though on how clean the dry rock i get is, and how fast i can cycle with ammonia.

here's a preview of the stand (stand built by Neptune's shop), pre-stain. Sump will be a Trigger Tideline 36"
qesTYZX.jpg

Update: Rocks came in today. 50lb normal marco rock, 20lb prime cuts marco rock. Have it circulating in a brute curing with Dr. Tim's ammonia. Will probably add some Dr. Tim's One and Only to it tomorrow, once correct ammonia levels are achieved. This plus sand the ~50lb of live rock from our combined two aquariums should be enough for the time being.
wKjsKvs.jpg

Back