Jestersix

Urgent: Looking for INTERCEPTOR

Nav

Just got back from Reef-A-Palooza and noticed my acan echinata receded 80% and 2 other chalices are starting to recede... This feels exactly what I went though the last time I lost almost every LPS (randomly melting).

I did more reading and several threads say there could be either black bugs or bacterial infection from wild caught coral (I got 2 wild caught chalices in the last few weeks) and the only thing that helped bring the coral back to life was an interceptor dip.

I want to try this and see if it works, so looking for any local reefer who can give me some interceptor to try... If nobody has it, I'd like to know how quickly to get it? (I know it requires a prescription but not sure who to ask, what reason to give, etc.)

Thx

Sorry, no interceptor but maybe try a Bayer dip then an Iodine dip to maybe give you a little time to find some interceptor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I've come across at least 10 posts where people tried all other dips/ways and the only thing that seemed to stop receding and back healthy is the interceptor. Not sure if I wanna dip and stress it out more...

The last time I had the melting issue, none of the dips helped.

damn nav, really sorry to hear. let me know if i can help in anyway... short of introducing the same problem into my tank

Lol, sure thing Alfred. If things get worse my nice pieces will end up in ur tank or Michaels ;) hope I don't get there....

I spent hours looking for it, didn't find any, maybe they're super tiny... If you google "chalice coral melting interceptor" you'll see a lot of discussion around the black/invisible bugs in aussie LPS...

These are just a few comments where people had success:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12634621&postcount=15
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12659793&postcount=80
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12661765&postcount=84

I have a few sources now, trying to figure out whats the dip procedure... most people do 6hr dip but I'm wondering if it has to be in a hospital tank or simply in a specimen container hanging in the tank (to keep temp in check). Anybody done interceptor dips (not dose) before?

Need inputs on whether to dose the entire tank or dip specific infected coral.

I'm afraid dipping the infected coral could still leave the parasite in the system and any other coral again could start receding...

Okay, more frustration! Yesterday when I went back home things were kinda the same, nothing receded further so I did a 5gal PWC (10%), dipped the 2 chalices and the echinata in Bayer for 10min & Iodine for 4min and placed them back in the tank hoping things would get better, everything else in the system looked good. I also did some tests...

Ph 8.2
Sal 1.026
Alk 8.8
Cal 450
Mag 1480
Nitr 0
Phos 0.06

My GFO reactor pump stopped working so I thought it could be a Phos spike but its not!

Today morning (2 hrs ago) I checked the chalices & echinata and they looked the same... but then I noticed this favia frag which was happy & puffed up just yesterday night now started receding, this one is not from the base tho! In just in 8hrs!!

03.jpg

Here are the other 2 chalices and the almost dead echinata

04.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

Now I decided to just go with the interceptor dose and not loose any more! Thanks to @RavenSF, he gave me a few interceptor tabs yesterday & we had a good chat :)

inter.jpg

After reading around a lot, here's what I'm planning to do...

Large tab has 23mg of Milbemycin oxime & is good for 380gal... The one I got is Green which has 5.75mg of Milbemycin oxime good for 95gal.

• I'm planning to cut the tab in half (good for 47gal which is my total water volume), powder it, mix well in 100ml of hot RODI and let it cool
  • Remove GAC, turn off skimmer and dose into the powerhead at 12am tonight
  • Meanwhile I'm mixing 15gal of salt water
  • Wake up at 6am, do the 15gal (30% PWC), turn on skimmer and add a double dose of GAC
  • I'll mix 15gal again in the morning and in the evening around 8pm do another 30% PWC
Hopefully this'll stop the receding! fingers crossed!! Can you guys look into my procedure and let me know if it sounds good?

Back