Neptune Aquatics

Reef Hobbyist 40B

Have your rockflowers stayed put?

My deep red crawled across the sand and up the glass a bit when I turned the lighting down 50% for a few days. The other white/yellow one has a sunnier spot and hasn't moved since the day I put him in the tank. They are both active eaters of brine shrimp, are you feeding yours at all?

I feed mine once in a while. Not very often. Two of the ones from the group by have not moved at all since day 1.

My other two older rockflower nems havent moved since day 1 either.

Reactions: Nav
My hot pink nem moved once in the last 1yr 2mo (when I had a mini crash). The new baby nem I got from the group buy recently just moved 2" last week.

I feed CoralFrenzy pellets every week to both nems (and other LPS).

I have a couple and they RARELY get fed (like when the pellets happen to fall on them or once every couple of months when Mike spot feeds). Mine have never moved and probably aren't growing as fast (for which I'm grateful).

Reactions: Nav
Tank is going through a potential black/invisible bug attack that is causing multiple LPS to melt. Just finish treating the entire tank and will post an update here on what I did and if things worked or not.

When I came back from RAP, my WP-10 died so had to order a RW-4 so now my DT is running 2 RW-4s. I tired the master-slave wireless mode and it was ok... but not so great is its just alternate waves and doesn't give a great look. I personally like the else mode cos it just does all sorts of things and moves water all around the tank. So currently one is running else mode and the other is running C mode with 5 second intervals. So every 5 seconds there's a force wave against the opposite ELSE powerhead causing more interesting circulation.

The pink rock flower moved a lot after I dosed the interceptor. Last week my carpet nem moved. Just hoping they don't juice up.

tumblr_inline_nwbopz9tuq1sc62k6_1280.jpg

After reef keeping for 1.5yrs I finally decided to pull the trigger on getting the Apex Controller. 2 weeks ago I ordered from BRS the Apex Controller with Lab-grade pH probe, the Mag Probe Holder & the IO Breakout Box.

tumblr_inline_nwboqlkG9F1sc62k6_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_nwboqrdokw1sc62k6_1280.jpg

I purchased new Madison float switches from Jon and being inspired by his Apex setup, I decided to replicate the float sensors… I looked around a lot to get the right bracket to hold these switches but there was none to hold 4 switches.

I took measurements and I ended up 3D printing the bracket. This one below was my first prototype… I didn’t get the levels right, also wire placement was not great.

tumblr_inline_nwborwAFsK1sc62k6_1280.jpg

I redesigned the model with the adjusted levels and also make sure I had holes for the wires so its more organized. Also used XT-CLEAR material this time with higher quality print.

tumblr_inline_nwbp1oriQj1sc62k6_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_nwbp25VZbv1sc62k6_1280.jpg

I also got a 7 Positons Ground Wire Row from Jon to connect all the grounding wires from the switches then into the grounding port in the IO box, that way if any switch fails I can individually disconnect & replace them (instead of taking down all switches). The ATO in the back will be gone soon!

tumblr_inline_nwbp2mwmTW1sc62k6_1280.jpg

For a whole week I kept messaging Jon day/night asking all sorts of questions around configs and programming… messaging was not enough so we ended up using Google Hangouts!! I really want to thank @jonmos75 for all the advise :)

My Apex config is not very sophisticated but I got most of my automation needs covered.

tumblr_inline_nwbpd6NzQm1sc62k6_1280.png

The probes are sitting very close to the dosing tubes which is why you’ll see some spikes in pH. They’re sitting in the skimmer chamber that has variable water levels but I’ve placed them such that the pH probe is never completely submersed.

Why 4 floats? Seems like a lot?
Mike, yes but it gives more control and I feel better too :) Inspired from @jonmos75... From bottom to top:

1) SUMP_LOW - to tell me water is so low that the return pump has to be turned off, else it will fail! This could either be cos the ATO switch failed or ATO reservoir is out of water or super high evaporation rate or if I take a lot of water out of DT to dip my coral

2) ATO_LOW - to tell my ATO pump to push water from the ATO reservoir. This level is the return chamber water level

3) SKIMMER - if water level rises to this, turn off the skimmer else skimmer will overflow. This is in when I turn off return pump or if the return pump fails

4) SUMP_HI - emergency, sump is going to overflow. This is a very rare case if my overflow box has a leak and more water from the DT gets into the sump (my drain hole is in the bottom of tank, so all water could drain)

Congrats on getting the controller, I think you'll be very happy you did!

That's a lot of float switches. I'm only using one, for a high level alert on the sump (which alarms, turns off skimmer, etc).

What's your username on Fusion? I'm wpeterson on there as well. I'm happy to let you check out our controller and share your setup.

Thanks Winfield. I can't express how happy I'm with the controller. Amazing control & monitoring! My fusion name is navdeep, whats yours? Also @Enderturtle can u add me?

I'm switching from the JBJ ATO to #2 (Apex controlled ATO) soon. Also thinking to use the 6th float switch for the skimmer collection cup in the future...

Back