Reef nutrition

* BERGHIA NUDIBRANCHS * DBTC

Yes you heard it. Berghia Nudibranchs

I was successful in rearing a handful of these awesome Aiptasia assassins. I would like to donate several of these assassins to our lovely Reefing group. I will give several folks " 1 " nudibranch each. Size will be around 3/8th to 1/2" size nudi's that are large enough now to brave the fast moving water in your tanks.

** REQUIREMENTS **
To receive a Nudi one must NOT have WRASSES, Peppermint shrimp/Cleaner shrimp in their tank as most likely the nudi will become a expensive meal for them.

Even for such a small size, these nudis will take down rather large aiptasia's. Most of these Nudis I believe have mated already and ready to deposite egg masses once more aiptasia are present. I've actually had them also breed in my main tank before.

Please let me know if your interested, post a reply or send PM so I can update your name on the list.

**** All I ask is that these are kept as DBTC not for RESALE **** If you can't follow this, then don't bother participating in this DBTC.

If you can also spare me some aiptasia on small live rock or rubble rock you will help keep the propagation of these creatures gowing so that I can continue this for BAR. Will need willing volunteers to receive these guys soon as I'm running out of Aiptasia to feed them.

Recipients:
  • sfsuphysics- Picked up
  • nly04 - Picked up

Thanks
Charles-

Just for reference:

Berghia nudibranchs are hermaphroditic, with each individual possessing both female and male reproductive organs. However, the Berghia requires a second individual to mate with in order to fertilize its eggs. (Image at left is of two Berghia mating)

Young Berghia may begin laying eggs as Juveniles as early as 28 days old. Eggs are laid in a spiraling strip referred to as an ‘egg ribbon’.

In the image to the right, you can see the egg ribbon. The eggs ribbons are typically laid in concealed places, such as on the underside of the rock-work, or beneath a large coral.

While egg laying begins in the juvenile stage of development, egg development is low (approximately 60-80 embryos in an egg cluster) and fertilization often incomplete.

After 60 days, the Berghia reaches sexual maturity and is capable of laying 1000 to 2000 embryos in a single ribbon with near 100% fertilization.

The time required for the eggs to hatch varies by species of nudibranch, as well as the water temperature during development. The Berghia eggs usually hatch in about 10-14 days with the newly hatched Berghia emerging as both free-swimming veliger larvae and fully metamorphosed juveniles. The form the hatchlings take is based on external factors present during their development within the egg (such as agitation of the eggs). This duel form of development allows the Berghia to increase its population within the immediate area, as well as spread to other areas.

Those Berghia that hatch as veliger larvae swim using cilia and are approximately 100 micrometers in size. Usually one day after hatching these larvae settle on the bottom and retract into the larval shell. During the process of metamorphosis, which does not take longer than 48 hours, the animals cast off their larval shell. Within 24 hours after metamorphosis the early juveniles start to crawl, though they are not yet actively feeding. At this time rhinophores begin to develop on the larva. As development proceeds, body elongation increases and more pairs of cerata are formed.

Around 48 hours after metamorphosis, the larva, now juvenile Berghia, begin to actively feed on Aiptasia.

At this stage the juvenile Berghia are approximately 600 microns long.

As the image at the right shows, they are nearly invisible, not yet having acquired their pigmentation, which is harvested from the Aiptasia they consume.

The actual life span of the Berghia nudibranch is unclear, but most estimates place it around 10 months if provided with a continuous supply of food. Lacking a readily available food source, Berghia will starve to death within 5-7 days.

Last edited:
Please PM me for details. Can schedule pick up in the afternoon starting today. Need to get them homes with Aipts fast as they will starve within 5-7 days if they don't have aipts.

Also accepting donations of aiptasia off rubble rocks or small rock work that can be chipped off.

Did you find a reliable source of aiptasia for them charles?

Remember folks this is a DBTC. People are relying on you to keep these nudibranchs alive.

They will starve and die if they dont have aiptasia to eat.

I might, but it would also help if anyone picking up Nudis has a couple to donate ;), I've been feeding the Aipts to help multiply but damn Aiptasia assassins taking them out faster than they can produce. Debating on setting up another pico just for aiptasia growing, but not really trying to ( not much space in a condo )

Charles, what is the success rate of the nudis cleaning out all the aiptasia ? what I mean is, once you pass the nud branch down the chain to the next reefer. Will the aiptasia come back?

They eat the whole thing to the rock or the glass. Nothing gets left. I've seen 1/2 size nudi take down a nickle size aiptasia by itself. I will try to take video shots today.

FYI
If a fish or shrimp will eat an aptasia it will eat the berghia, so save the nudi and use an alternative method.
If anyone is in my area and meeting up with Charles, I would like one or two nudi's and I have an abundance of aptasia to donate to the cause

I'm available after 5pm till 7pm on weekdays. Weekend is a toss up. I will be going to Neptune's this Sunday to take my InLaws some fish for their tank I just set up.

Thanks a bunch Charles, after (hopefully) acclimating it kind of slithered along the rocks and out of sight behind where I know there's a bunch o' aiptasia, I'm half expecting a 2 pound nudibranch by tomorrow morning.

BTW what about bristleworms? I removed a couple since I thought they might be predators for the nudi.

Mike,

In my breeder tank, 2 large fire worms were killing my adult and baby nudi's. But I think it was easier for them because it was such a small space in a pico. But in a main tank it would be harder for worms to go after them. Shrimp and Fish like wrasses will be a different story.

its actually rather simple. Just a old fluval spec v that was originally a freshwater tank we bought for father in law. He has since upgraded to a 45gal so I converted this to a berghia breeder.. No Sand or any real live rock.

Just a couple rocks that had aiptasia, heater. I just do water changes when I do WC on my main tank. Something like this

fluval_edge_23l_white__48530_zoom__98354_zoom.jpg

So are these guys nocturnal? or do they come out during the day? How long until I start seeing decimation? Just curious to know if it's still alive or if some bristleworm got him.

Back