Kessil

$$$ MONEY $$$

I want to say we spent about $3000 on equipment and $500 on coral/fish for this tank, but it might be more. We moved here after tearing down two nano tanks we loved, so I spent more money to get a nice tank up ASAP vs. waiting for a better deals.

Gear we already had/re-used (~ $1500):
  • 3x Kessil A350 (bought used, ~ $600)
  • 2x Vortech MP10 (one new, one used ~ $300)
  • 2x TLF Reactors (new, ~ $80)
  • Turbotwist 12x UV (used, $100)
  • eheim auto-feeder (new, $30)
  • 4x MJ1200 pumps (new, $120)
  • AutoAqua SmartATO (new, $150)
Things we bought (~ $3000):
  • RO/DI 4-stage 150gpd: $225
  • 90g display & cherry wood stand: $900
  • Trigger Systems Tideline 30 Sump: $400
  • Plumbing/Overflow Parts: $100
  • Reef Octopus 150SSS Skimmer: $230
  • Apex (Base + ORP probe): $500
  • Dry Rock (75lbs): $150
  • Jebao DC-9000: $90
  • Jebao DP-4 Doser: $75
  • Refugium clamp-light & CFL: $30
  • 10x Filter Socks: $45
I think we could have gotten a better price for display/stand/sump, but I was able to find good quality gear on the ground in an LFS and set it up that day, which saved us a month or so vs. shipping. I was grateful we re-used our existing powerheads/lighting from our two nanos together.

I've been super lucky to get a TON of coral for free from club members on DBTC or similar terms. I'm psyched to be giving back a lot of frags to the club now a year later. We haven't spent much on fish and keep a pretty lightly stocked tank in terms of fish, but heavy on coral.

Wow, I guess the $50/gal of display heuristic is about right.

Last edited:
Not a Corrado by chance!?! I miss my 90 G60!

sure thing, it's what got me hooked on VW's to begin with, this is my G60 (pic is about 10 years old)

CRW_0441.jpg

the one I described in my earlier post is a VR6 GTI, Corrado hasn't been driven for 5 years, it lives in storage.

sure thing, it's what got me hooked on VW's to begin with, this is my G60 (pic is about 10 years old)

CRW_0441.jpg

the one I described in my earlier post is a VR6 GTI, Corrado hasn't been driven for 5 years, it lives in storage.

Nice! Sold mine in 2000. Was a 90. Black with Reiger body kit, OZ wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing with this hobby is you can spend as little or as much as you are comfortable with.

The new big tank will eat into my bank account a fair amount but I enjoy things that are well engineered and designed to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah if I count the 140g tank I had with a basement sump and fish room.... Well lets just say I don't want to add up the costs. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm in for about $1,700 for a 20g with 10g sump and a 5g QT tank. Includes everything (RODI unit for $330, tools to build stand for $250, etc).

I'm not quite done with hardware and not much livestock yet.

Last edited:
You can have a great tank with any budget, but you just need to make sure your ambitions match your budget.

We had a petco 29gal tank that we grew into a nice little mixed reef with a few fish and some hang on equipment on a cheap budget that brought us a lot of joy.

Buying equipment 2nd hand has saved me some money, but still it adds up..
Like others, I had a spreadsheet going on for how much I spent, but gave up a year later. It was too sad to look at

Back