Cali Kid Corals

Underlayment for new 180 Gallon?

Hello everyone. My new 180 gallon tank is coming this weekend. I've already built the stand, but I was wondering what, if anything, I should put on top of the plywood to set the tank on. I've heard of people using Styrofoam. If thats the case what thickness should i go with? Any advise is appreciated. Ive atached a pic of the stand i build. Still havnt skinned the front or sides, but the top is 3/4 inch plywood.

Attachments

• Stand.JPG
    Stand.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 301
I believe if the tank is acrylic, a flat sheet of padding is required; I have purchased from Costco before rubber padding for play/garage areas; comes in squares and pretty darn cheap, you can cut it to size; is colored dark gray, by the tools/garage isle of Costco.

I used 1/2" styrofoam (acrylic aquarium). Standard 4x8 insulation from Lowes.
Note: If you go bare bottom, you may want to pain it first.
Glass: Nothing.

I have used the pink styro insulation in the past with glass tanks. As long as its not rimmed then I think it is generally a good idea.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I don't think you should put foam under acrylic tanks. IME acrylic tanks with trends to bow more than tanks without.

What's the reasoning for styrofoam with acrylic but not glass?
The theory as I understand it:

With glass:
It is often built with a metal frame that is meant to support everything.
Since that metal frame has a fairly small contact area with the foam, it could end up
crushing the foam in spots under the frame, and you end up with a surface that is no longer effectively flat.
So no foam.

With thick acrylic: The foam nicely supports it evenly, and will get rid of any tiny irregularities,
such as screw heads, paint blobs, and so on.
So foam is good.

With thin acrylic: The very edges have a tendency to bend down as the front bows out.
Those edges are not supported as well by foam, so it bends slightly more, and you
get a bit more bowing. Bowing is bad for joints, so not the best plan.
So maybe foam, maybe not.

Never used anything under any aquarium. 40+ years experience. Metal or plastic frames all weight is carried on the edges. Plexiglass tanks actually bow so the edges carry no weight. Try running a Business card under the edges and you'll find all of the weight is towards the center of the bottom. All you need is a flat and level surface. With acrylic The Front and back edges actually bow up away from the flat surface.

Last edited:
Back