Kessil

Yee Haw! My RockFlower Nems have SEXUALLY REPRODUCED! Nem Babies!

2/10/2016

I've counted about 7 babies left. Not much increase in size. I've been spotfeeding them reef roids/frozen mysis/LRS/brineshrimp mixture.

Next time I have a batch of babies I might try to give them to people to see if their survival rates are higher.

When the babies first showed up, I noticed them ALL over my tank. In the sump growing on chaeto, in the frag tank attached to rock, and in the display.

2/10/2016

When the babies first showed up, I noticed them ALL over my tank. In the sump growing on chaeto, in the frag tank attached to rock, and in the display.

From the research I did you want to nail down the time as best you can, normal spawning is during both equinox events so somewhere around there.

Feeding seemed to be a big plus to getting them to spawn, and feeding the babies, can't remember if they used special food or not but it seemed to tie to higher success in getting them to mature a bit.

Lastly to address the part I quoted and the reason I'm typing this lol. When you nail down the spawning events you should shut down all the pumps then you can get in there with a baster to collect up the gammites and then distribute them over the females as this not only leads to a higher number of babies and a better survival rate as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. It is exciting to be able to observe natural life cycle. I was thrilled the first time my crappy cherry shrimps spawn... and then the never stopped spawning and flood the tank.

Would the parent move around and stomp on the babies? And how would they know not to sting/kill the offspring.

4/11/2016

Here are pictures of 3 of the 4 rockflower nems babies in my frag tank. I have about 2 in my display tank.

IMG_4624.jpg
IMG_4625.jpg
IMG_4626.jpg

They definitely benefit from feeding as they are much larger than the ones in my display tank. I've been feeding them mysis/brine shrimp bits and Reef Roids.

Very excited about what they look like when they're full grown.

Nice. It is exciting to be able to observe natural life cycle. I was thrilled the first time my crappy cherry shrimps spawn... and then the never stopped spawning and flood the tank.

Would the parent move around and stomp on the babies? And how would they know not to sting/kill the offspring.

Actually unlike bubbletips anemones, rock flower anemones do not move as much. They have stayed put since I put them there. The green rockflower I have moved like 1 inch. But I imagine if it did move t would probably displace the other baby nems or squish them.

My RFA's just reproduced too...did you do anything special / protect them from flow or tank mates? Wanted to know what I should do with mine to be successful and get them to grow....

I still count about 15-20 baby rock nems all around the tank....Greens, yellows and at least one red.....And this one has attached to the scarlet hermit shell

Attachments

• IMG_20170115_174531207.jpg
    IMG_20170115_174531207.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 412
One of my largest RFA's was closed up this morning...Then I see a whole bunch of big babies on the rocks nearby....

Attachments

• IMG_20170127_073333902.jpg
    IMG_20170127_073333902.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_20170127_073218431.jpg
    IMG_20170127_073218431.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20170127_062359989.jpg
    IMG_20170127_062359989.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 437
Back